EMORY, Va. – The Guilford College Men's Basketball Team (13-9, 9-4 ODAC) picked up a 79-64 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win over Emory & Henry College (18-4, 10-3 ODAC) Wednesday evening. The Wasps are currently ranked No. 3 in the NCAA Division III South Region.
FINAL SCORE – Guilford 79, Emory & Henry 64
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (18-4, 10-3 ODAC); Guilford (13-9, 9-4 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry opened up a 10-5 lead at the 15:21 mark of the first half. A 9-2 run by Guilford resulted in a 14-12 lead for the Quakers, but the Wasps responded to go ahead 26-20 with a 14-6 scoring spurt.
- GC carved into the deficit and was able to take a 36-33 advantage into the intermission.
- The Quakers opened the second half on a 10-3 run to lead 46-36 with 15:25 to play. Emory & Henry got within two points three minutes later, but Guilford went on the offensive to go up 64-51.
- E&H trimmed the margin to nine (71-62) with 2:01 left to play, but GC hit its final six free throws to claim the 79-64 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) put up a team-high 20 points, hitting four three-pointers while senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) had 18 points and eight rebounds.
- Freshman guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) notched 10 points and four assists while junior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) had seven points.
- Sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) added four points, six rebounds, and four assists.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Marcus Curry led all scorers with 23 points and added six rebounds while Carson Long added 14 points, nine rebounds, four steals and three blocks.
- Joah Logan contributed 12 points, five boards and three steals and Jarrod Rogers tacked on seven points, 10 assists, four rebound and three steals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry made 40.7 percent (22-for-54) of its shots with nine threes. The Wasps went 11-for-14 (78.6%) at the charity stripe.
- Guilford went 27-for-57 (47.4%) from the field, connecting on 10 three-pointers. The Quakers made 71.4 percent (15-of-21) of their free throw attempts.
- GC posted a 35-28 rebounding advantage and led 12-8 on second-chance points.
- The Quakers put up a 34-20 margin on points in the paint and also led 18-10 on points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry will travel to face Randolph-Macon College Saturday afternoon at 2:00 p.m.
- The Wasps defeated the Yellow Jackets, who are ranked No. 1 in the South Region, by a 75-65 score on Saturday, January 20 at home.