WILLIAMSBURG, Va. –The Emory & Henry College Men's Golf Team began play in its final tournament of the fall Monday, competing in the 67th Virginia State Golf Association Intercollegiate. The tournament, which features 14 teams, and many of the top small college golf programs from the Commonwealth, is being played at the Williamsburg Golf Club.
Tournament – 67th VSGA Intercollegiate
Format – Stroke Play/36 holes/5-count-4
Course – Williamsburg Golf Club
Location – Williamsburg, Virginia
Length – 6,720 Yards
Par – 36-36 – 72
Emory & Henry
- The Wasps sit in 14th place after round one, shooting a team score of 353 (+65).
- Freshman Carlos Andrade (Guayaquil, ECUADOR) leads E&H after shooting a +9 (81) in the opening round and is tied for 40th.
- Freshman Ben Owen (Rogersville, Tenn.) carded an 85 (+13) to finish second on the squad while senior T.J. Widener (Damascus, Va.) and junior Matthew Largen (Abingdon, Va.) carded a 92 and 95, respectively for the Emory & Henry.
- Freshman Luke Montalbano (Rumford, R.I.) is also competing for the Wasps.
- David Rabil of Christopher Newport University leads the way after shooting a 67 (-5) on the first 18 holes of play. He is one of three players currently at even par or better.
- Christopher Newport leads the way as a team at +1 overall (289). The Captains have four players in the top 11.
- Second in the tournament is Drew Lagan of Ferrum College (-1 / 71), who has paced the Panthers to a second-place team position.
- Emory & Henry will complete play in the 67th VSGA Intercollegiate with 18 more holes of golf on Tuesday. Play will begin with a shotgun start at 10:00 a.m.
-photo courtesy of Joe Matthews