WILLIAMSBURG, Va. –The Emory & Henry College Men's Golf Team completed the fall portion of its season Tuesday with round two of the 67th Virginia State Golf Association Intercollegiate. The Wasps finished 14th as a team, playing against some of the top small college programs in the Commonwealth.
Tournament – 67th VSGA Intercollegiate
Format – Stroke Play/36 holes/5-count-4
Course – Williamsburg Golf Club
Location – Williamsburg, Virginia
Length – 6,720 Yards
Par – 36-36 – 72
Emory & Henry
- Emory & Henry closed the tournament by shooting 24 strokes better than on day one (+41/329) to finish the tournament at +106 (682).
- Freshman Carlos Andrade (Guayaquil, ECUADOR) carded a 78 (+6) in the final round to move up seven spots for a T-33rd finish (159 / +15).
- Freshman Ben Owen (Rogersville, Tenn.) knocked five strokes off his round one 85 to post a +7 (79), finishing tied for 45th at 164 (+20).
- Junior Matthew Largen (Abingdon, Va.) shaved 11 strokes in his second 18 for a two-day total of (95-84 – 179) to while senior T.J. Widener (Damascus, Va.) was four shots better on Tuesday (180/+36).
- Freshman Luke Montalbano (Rumford, R.I.) rounded out the field for E&H.
- Christopher Newport University's David Rabil won the tournament by 12 strokes, shooting a two-day score of 133 (67-66 / -12).
- The Captains won the event by 16 shots with a team overall of 579 (+3). Ferrum College was second (595 / +19) while Virginia Wesleyan College took third (607 / +31).
- Emory & Henry has completed the fall portion of its season and will next compete after the New Year.
- The first tournament in the spring of 2017 will be on Monday, March 13 and Tuesday, March 14 at the TaylorMade/Adidas Intercollegiate. The tournament will take place on the Cotton Dike Course at the Dataw Island Club in St. Helena Island, South Carolina.
-photo courtesy of Joe Matthews