CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. –The Emory & Henry College Men's Golf Team finished 10th in the Scarlet Division of the 46th Marine Federal Credit Union/Camp Lejeune Intercollegiate over the weekend. The Wasps competed against programs from all divisions including NCAA Division I, II and III and junior colleges.
The first two rounds were played as a 31-team field. The tournament was divided into Gold and Scarlet Divisions for the final round with the top 16 programs selected to play in the Gold Division and the other 15 teams the Scarlet Division.
Tournament – 46th Marine Federal Credit Union/Camp Lejeune Intercollegiate
Format – Stroke Play/54 holes/5-count-4
Club – Paradise Point Golf Course
Location – Camp Lejeune, North Carolina
Gold Course – 6,763 Yards; Par 35-36 – 71
Scarlet Course – 6,763 Yards; Par 35-36 – 71
Round One - Scarlet Course
- Freshman Carlos Andrade (Guayaquil, ECUADOR) shot a +2 (72) in the opening round to lead the team while freshman Ben Owen (Rogersville, Tenn.) was one shot back (73; +3).
- Sophomore Ryan Hyatt (Bristol, Va.) carded a 74 (+4) on Saturday while senior T.J. Widener (Damascus, Va.) shot +6 ( 76).
- Freshman Richard Fishwick (Roanoke, Va.) put up an 82 on the day.
Round Two – Gold Course
- Andrade once again led the Wasps with a +2 (74), the third-best score of the day.
- Owen carded a 79 (+7) while Widener and Fishwick shot +8 (80).
- Hyatt turned in a score of 81 (+9).
Round Three – Scarlet Course
- Owen had the team's best score on Sunday with a 73 (+3) while Andrade shot +5 (75).
- Hyatt came back with a 77 (+7) while Fishwick (81, +11) and Widener (85, +15) also competed for E&H.
- Andrade finished the tournament tied for ninth (72-74-75 – 221) at +9.
- Owen shot a +13 (73-79-73 – 225) to finish tied for 18th.
- Hyatt tied for 33rd (74-81-77 – 232) with a +20.
- Widener ended the weekend at +29 while Fishwick finished +31.
- Tyler Newton of York (Pa.) College won the individual title, shooting a 214 (76-67-71; +2) over three rounds of play. Newton's victory came by two strokes over Andrew Wally of Stevenson University.
- York also claimed the team title with an overall score of +49 (310-283-304 – 897). Marymount University (+50) was one stroke behind in second while Kenyon College (+51) took third.
- Emory & Henry will conclude the 2016-17 season at the 2017 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championships which will be held between Sunday, April 23 and Tuesday, April 25.
- The tournament will take place at the Wintergreen Resort's Stoney Creek Golf Course in Nellysford, Virginia.