ABINGDON, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Golf Team is in first place out of eight participating schools through 18 holes at the Emory & Henry Fall Classic. The Wasps currently hold a seven-stroke lead over NCAA Division II-member Virginia Union University. E&H has two teams of five players and a pair of individuals competing at the event with the teams named "Gold" and "Blue"
Tournament – Emory & Henry Fall Classic
Host – Emory & Henry College
Format – Stroke Play/36 holes/5-count-4
Course – Glenrochie Country Club
Location – Abingdon, Virginia
Length – 6,855 Yards
Par – 35-37 – 72
Emory & Henry - Gold
- Leading the Wasps is freshman Wesley Jones (Seymour, Tenn.) with an opening round 75 (+3) which also is in front of the field.
- Freshmen Blake Benson (Knoxville, Tenn.) and Chase Burt (Jefferson City, Tenn.) both carded a +6 (78) on Monday and are tied for fourth overall.
- Sophomore Ben Owen (Rogersville, Tenn.) is tied for seventh at 79 (+7) while sophomore Carlos Andrade (Guayaquil, ECUADOR) shot a 79 (+9) to finish ninth.
Emory & Henry – Blue
- Isfandyar Khan (Lahore, PAKISTAN) turned in a score of 84 (+12; T-12th) to pace the Blue Team while junior Wes Blaylock (Bristol, Va.) is two strokes back at +14 (86; T-15th).
- Sophomore Richard Fishwick (Roanoke, Va.) shot a 91 (+19) and is tied for 23rrd overall while freshman Hunter Watson (Jonesville, Va.) put up a 94 (+22; T-27th).
- Sophomore Luke Montalbano (Rumford, R.I.) is tied for 32nd after a round of 96 (+24).
Emory & Henry Individuals
- Pacing the individuals for E&H is sophomore Tanner Carter (Saltville, Va.) with an 83 (+11) which cracks the top 10.
- Freshman Conner Selecman (Saltville, Va.) put up an 87 (+15) on Monday and is tied for 19thh.
- The E&H Gold Team is +22 after day one, shooting a combined 310 while Virginia Union is second at +29 (317).
- Emory & Henry – Blue is third at +67 (355), in a battle with Fayetteville State University (+69; 357) and Southern Virginia University (+70; 358).
- FSU's Isaiah Shaw shot +4 (76) and is second behind E&H's Jones while Robel Woldagabriel of Virginia Union is at 77 (+5).
- The field is well bunched with the top 10 and ties all within eight strokes of the leader.
- The Wasps will conclude play at the Emory & Henry Fall Classic on Tuesday with a shotgun start at 9:00 a.m.