FERRUM, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Soccer Team (1-0) kicked of the 2016 season with a win, defeating Ferrum College (0-1) by a 3-0 score Thursday evening. The match was played on the turf at W.B. Adams Stadium due to poor field conditions on Penn-Roediger Field, the Panthers' regular home for soccer.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Ferrum 0
LOCATION – Ferrum, Va. – W.B. Adams Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-0, 0-0 ODAC); Ferrum (0-1, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got on the board early in the 38th minute on a penalty kick goal by senior midfielder Zach Quest (Charlotte, N.C.). The Wasps earned the penalty after a challenge from behind inside the six-yard box.
- E&H doubled its lead just 10:21 into the second half. Sophomore midfielder Colin Foley (Chesapeake, Va.) crossed a ball in from the right side to find junior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.), who struck it into the back of the net.
- The Wasps tacked on a third score with just over a half an hour to play (69:09). Sophomore midfielder Nickolas Taylor (Portsmouth, Va.) connected on an unassisted strike from long range on the left side of the pitch.
- Senior goalkeeper Didier Grillet (Matthews, N.C.) kept the Panthers off the board in the final 10 minutes by stopping a pair of shots as FC put up six attempts in the span.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Quest led the way with four shots including two on goal, including his penalty kick score.
- Couch put all three of his evening's shot on frame.
- In addition to his assist on Couch's score, Foley also had a pair of shots on the night.
- Grillet made five saves on the evening to pick up the shutout, his third career clean sheet.
Ferrum Individual Leaders
- Kyle Simpkins has a match-high six shots including two on goal while Keith Ricks added four shots (two SOG).
- Derek Thomas made a pair of saves in the first hour of play before leaving the game with an injury.
- Jason Anstice stopped two E&H shots in the final 30 minutes, despite allowing a goal.
A Deeper Look
- Ferrum out-shot Emory & Henry, 20-14, but the Wasps led by a 7-5 margin on shots on goal.
- E&H took nine corner kicks on the evening compared to just three by FC.
- The Wasp attackers were called offside on two occasions.
- The victory was Emory & Henry's second season-opening win in three seasons (3-2 at Anderson (Ind.) in 2014).
- The win snapped a three-match losing streak to Ferrum dating back to 2012.
- Emory & Henry's last opening day shutout win was also by a 3-0 score against the Panthers on September 1, 2011 at Fred Selfe Stadium.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Phoenixville, Pennsylvania on Saturday to take on the University of Valley Forge at 3:00 p.m.
- The Wasps defeated the Patriots by a 6-0 margin in their first-ever meeting last year.