EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Soccer Team (3-0) remained undefeated on the year with a 3-1 victory over Earlham College (2-3) Sunday morning. The Wasps are now undefeated through three matches for the second time in two years and are unbeaten and untied after three for the first time since 2006.
FINAL SCORE –Emory & Henry 3, Earlham 1
LOCATION – Emory, Va. – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-0, 0-0 ODAC); Earlham (2-3, 0-0 Heartland)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got things going at the 6:41 mark on a goal by senior midfielder Zach Quest (Charlotte, N.C.). Sophomore forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) played the cross in from the right side to Quest who crashed to the back post for the score.
- An ejection at the 14:14 mark forced the Wasps to play the final 75-plus minutes with 10 players.
- Nicholas Dey got the equalizer for the Quakers late in the 29th minute, collecting a mishit goal kick and taking it one-on-one with the keeper.
- Quest found the back of the net again, this time with 8:05 to go before the intermission. Freshman defender Massimo Tager (Asheville, N.C.) served a free kick into the box and Quest headed it in for the 2-1 advantage.
- Just 58 seconds later, junior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) – the reigning ODAC Player of the Week – put his mark on the contest. Sophomore defender Nathan Neisius (Powhatan, Va.) sent a long pass ahead which Couch collected and finished to the back post for a 3-1 halftime lead.
- The closest either squad came to breaking through after the intermission was early in the 63rd minute when the Quakers earned a penalty kick, but Wasp freshman Cole Schreiner (Atlanta, Ga.) made a massive save to keep the margin at 3-1 in favor of E&H.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Quest led all players with two goals on four shots, putting all of his attempts on frame.
- Couch was second on the squad with three shots on goal including his score.
- Stallins collected his second assist of the year while Tager and Neisius earn their first points with their helpers.
- Schreiner earned the win in the net, playing the final 61:08 of the match and making three saves including the key penalty shot.
Earlham Individual Leaders
- Dey and Victor Zuniga each had four shots with two on goal while Dey contributed the team's only score of the match.
-Taylen Alexander played the opening 45 minutes as the Quakers' goalkeeper, making three saves despite allowing a trio of scores.
A Deeper Look
- Earlham out-shot Emory & Henry 11-9, but the Wasps held a 7-5 advantage in shots on goal.
- E&H took six corner kicks in the contest while EC had four.
- The Quakers were called offside three times during the match while the Wasps were without a violation.
- The win was the first in the all-time series for Emory & Henry as the two teams battled to a scoreless draw in 2014 and Earlham won 3-2 a year ago.
- The Wasps are 3-0 to start the year for the first time since 2006. That season, E&H went 6-10-2 (0-8-1 ODAC).
- Emory & Henry's last three-match winning streak came in 2007 when the Wasps reeled off six-straight for a 6-1 start after falling in their opening contest.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Demorest, Georgia on Wednesday to take on Piedmont College at 6:00 p.m.
- The Wasps' last meeting with the Lions was a 1-0 defeat at home in 2013.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass