ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon College Men's Soccer Team (6-1-2, 2-0 ODAC) earned a 4-0 victory over visiting Emory & Henry College (7-3, 0-2 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action. The match was played at Day Field, the Yellow Jacket's football facility, due to unplayable conditions at the R-MC Soccer Field.
FINAL SCORE – Randolph-Macon 4, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Ashland, Virginia – Day Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-3, 0-2 ODAC); Randolph-Macon (6-1-2, 2-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Andrew Gyimesi put the Yellow Jackets up 1-0 in the 27th minute as he headed in a loose ball off a saved shot. Logan McHugh was credited with the assist.
- After the halftime break, R-MC doubled its advantage at the 50:27 mark on a goal from the top of the box by Anthony Astruc. Peter Nelson served up the corner kick that led to the score.
- Two and a half minutes later, McHugh put his name in the scoring column with a goal from 30-yards out for a 3-0 lead.
- With 13:36 remaining, Astruc laid off a ball inside the box to set up Bryan Lutz for the final goal of the match.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Couch led the Wasps with four shots, putting two of them on frame while sophomore forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) added two attempts in the game.
- Senior goalkeeper Dider Grillet (Matthews, N.C.) made a season-high 11 saves, playing the full 90 minutes for the sixth-straight contest.
Randolph-Macon Individual Leaders
- McHugh took six shots on the day, putting four on target to finish with a goal and an assist.
- Astruc's three shots all went on goal as he also scored once and assisted on another goal.
- Brian Breslin earned the complete-match shutout for the Yellow Jackets, stopping four shots.
A Deeper Look
- Randolph-Macon led by a 24-10 margin on shots, putting 15 of their chances on target.
- The Wasps took six corner kicks in the match, four of which came in the opening 45 minutes, while the Yellow Jackets had two chances from the corner.
- Both squads were called offside on two different occasions during the match.
- The four goals allowed by Emory & Henry are the most given up this year by the squad.
- It is just the second time that E&H has failed to score this season.
- The Yellow Jackets have won four-straight over the Wasps dating back to a 1-1 tie in the 2012 season.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road on Wednesday when it visits Bridgewater College for an ODAC matchup at 4:00 p.m.
- The Wasps will be looking to earn their first win against the Eagles since the 2009 season.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass