BRIDGEWATER, Va. – The Bridgewater College Men's Soccer Team (6-3-2, 1-1 ODAC) scored in the 70th minute and held on to earn a 1-0 win against visiting Emory & Henry College (7-4, 0-2 ODAC) Wednesday afternoon. Though the Eagles and Wasps are both members of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference, due to the 2016 scheduling matrix, the match was played as a non-conference contest.
FINAL SCORE – Bridgewater 1, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Bridgewater, Virginia – Bridgewater College Soccer Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-3, 0-2 ODAC); Bridgewater (6-3-2, 1-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two squads battled to a 0-0 tie after 45 minutes of play. Emory & Henry had six shots on goal in the opening half but could not find the back of the net.
- Wasp senior goalkeeper Didier Grillet (Matthews, N.C.) kept the score at 0-0 in the 35th minute when he saved a penalty kick by Renato Grgic.
- Coming out of the break, the Wasps and Eagles went back and forth for the first 25 minutes before settling into the half.
- Bridgewater finally broke through at the 69:42 mark when Conner Henderson headed in a free kick from Leo Alcantara to make the score 1-0.
- Both BC and E&H had opportunities to score in the final 20 minutes of the match, but shots were either off the mark or saved by the goalkeeper.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior midfielder Zach Quest (Charlotte, N.C.) put all four of his shots on goal and took the lead role in serving up the Wasps' six corner kicks.
- Junior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) added four shots, with three going on frame, while sophomore midfielder Colin Foley (Chesapeake, Va.) and freshman midfielder Andrew Kincaid (Fredericksburg, Va.) each added a pair of chances.
- Grillet made five saves in the match, including turning away the penalty at the 34:29 mark.
Bridgewater Individual Leaders
- Henderson's goal propelled the Eagles to the win as he finished the match with two shots.
- Grgic had five shots (two on goal) while Pepe Gonzalez notched three attempts.
- Mark Davis picked up the shutout in goal, stopping all eight of the Wasps shots on target, playing the full 90 minutes.
A Deeper Look
- Bridgewater edged Emory & Henry, 14-13, on total shots but the Wasps led 8-6 on shots on goal.
- E&H held a 6-2 on corner kicks, taking four of their attempts in the opening 45 minutes.
- The Eagles were called offside three times during the match while Wasp attackers committed two violations.
- E&H has fallen in four of its last six matches after opening the season 5-0.
- The last Emory & Henry win over BC came as a 3-2 victory in the 2009 season.
- Emory & Henry returns home on Saturday when it hosts Shenandoah University in an ODAC contest at 6:00 p.m.
- The Wasps are 3-0-3 against the Hornets all time, including a 2-0-2 mark since SU joined the league in 2012.
- Last year, Emory & Henry battled Shenandoah to a 2-2 tie at Fred Selfe Stadium.
-photo courtesy of Caleb Johnston, E&H '15