EMORY, Va. – The Randolph College Men's Soccer Team (7-3-3, 2-1-2 ODAC) did all its damage in the opening half, scoring four goal to defeat Emory & Henry College (8-5-1, 1-3-1 ODAC) Saturday evening in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference matchup.
FINAL SCORE – Randolph 4, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (8-5-1, 1-3-1 ODAC); Randolph (7-3-3, 2-1-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The WildCats got their first goal at the 17:54 mark as Blake Heatherly converted a penalty kick.
- Seven minutes later, RC went up 2-0 when Heatherly found the back of the net with a free kick from the left side.
- Randolph made it 3-0 with another free kick in the 32nnd minute. Heatherly served a ball into the six-yard box which found the feet of Kyle Unruh at the back post for a one-time finish.
- The final score came at the 40:05 mark. Anthony Fonnesu played a ball ahead for Joe Uzdavinis, who beat the last defender and finished to the top right 90.
- Emory & Henry had several chances throughout the contest, but each of them were safely corralled by the Randolph goalkeeper.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) took a team-high five shots in the match, with four terrific chances to break into the scoring column.
- Junior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) had three shots while junior defender Chandler Copeland (Newport News, Va.) and freshman defender Massimo Tager (Asheville, N.C.) put up a pair of shots each.
- Senior goalkeeper Didier Grillet (Matthews, N.C.) made eight saves, playing the entire match for the 11th time in 12 appearances this year.
Randolph Individual Leaders
- Heatherly had a pair of goals and an assist, finishing the contest with seven shots to lead all players.
- Unruh was second on the squad with three shots, converting one for the third score of the match.
- Erick Cortez-Martinez earned the shutout in frame for the WildCats, making eight saves.
- Ricky Aguilar led the way with a pair of shots on goal as well.
- Eric Hayes made five saves in the contest, earning the tie for GC.
A Deeper Look
- Randolph out-shot Emory & Henry by a 21-14 margin and led 13-8 on shots on goal.
- The WildCats had three corners in the match compared to one for the Wasps.
- Neither team committed an offside violation during the match.
- Emory & Henry remains at home on Tuesday evening when it hosts Washington and Lee University. The Generals are currently receiving votes in the NSCAA's Division III top 25 poll.
- Kick off is set for 6:30 p.m.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass