EMORY, Va. – The Washington and Lee Men's Soccer Team (11-3, 5-1 ODAC) tallied three goals in the opening 45 to defeat Emory & Henry College (8-6-1, 1-4-1 ODAC) 4-1Tuesday evening in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference matchup.
FINAL SCORE – Washington and Lee 4, Emory & Henry 1
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (8-6-1, 1-4-1 ODAC); Washington and Lee (11-3, 5-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Generals found the net at the 4:29 mark as Geinda Smith finished a driven ball off the end line from Sterling Kirk.
- Just over three minutes from the first goal Dylan Ritch of Washington and Lee sent the score to 2-0 after taking a free kick from just outside the box.
- Washington and Lee made it 3-0 when Dylan Ritch finished a ball from Kevin Molnar.
- Junior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) put the Wasps on the board at the 36:37 mark finishing a pass from freshman defender Massimo Tager (Asheville, N.C.)
- The Generals struck paydirt a final time at the 49:42 mark as Geinda Smith tallied his second goal of the night.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) took a team-high three shots in the match, placing two on target.
- Couch had two shots on goal, scoring the lone goal for the Wasps, while junior defender Chandler Copeland (Newport News, Va.) put a shot on target in the 66th minute.
- Senior goalkeeper Didier Grillet (Matthews, N.C.) made nine saves, playing the last 1,010 straight minutes this season.
Washington and Lee Individual Leaders
- Ritch led the team with five shots, finding the net twice for Washington and Lee.
- Geinda Smith came in second shooting four times and scoring twice.
- Goalkeeper Thomas Zusi tallied five saves on the match.
A Deeper Look
- Washington and Lee out-shot the Wasps 22-10 putting 13 on goal.
- Both teams kept it close in corner kicks with the Generals taking seven compared to the Wasps five.
- The Emory & Henry back line remained disciplined causing the Generals to commit five offside violations.
- Emory & Henry hits the road to take on Penn State-Mont Alto Thursday at 3:30 p.m.