MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Soccer Team (9-6-1) got back on the winning track Thursday afternoon with a 5-0 win over Penn State-Mont Alto (6-12). The Wasps continue their second-best season in program history with one victory to go before reaching the 10-win mark for the year.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 5, Penn State-Mont Alto 0
LOCATION – Mont Alto, Pennsylvania - Penn State Mont Alto Soccer Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (9-6-1, 1-4-1 ODAC); Penn State-Mont Alto (6-12)
How It Happened
- Sophomore defender Nathan Neisius (Powhatan, Va.) got thing started with his first career goal assisted by junior defender Chandler Copeland (Newport News, Va.).
- Sophomore forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) scored a pair of goals in the match assisted by junior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) and sophomore midfielder Craig Cook (Palmyra, Va.).
- Couch also assisted on a goal by freshman forward Austin Hylton (Chester, Va.) and scored one of his own as freshman midfielder Kevin Boeren (Roanoke, Va.) provided the help.
- Senior goalkeeper Didier Grillet (Matthews, N.C.) earned the victory in goal.
A Deeper Look
- With the victory, Grillet ties the Emory & Henry record for career wins with 14, which is also held by Daniel Mills (2007-10).
- Couch continues to move the E&H season scoring record with each goal and now sits in a tie for fifth all-time in ODAC history for goals in a season. He currently sits one off the Wasps' career scoring record of 27 held by P.J. Henson (2007-11).
- Emory & Henry earns its fourth shutout of the season, the most since 2007 when the Wasps held five of their opponents scoreless.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road on Saturday afternoon when it steps back into Old Dominion Athletic Conference play against Hampden-Sydney College.
- Kickoff is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. Please not the change in kickoff time.
- Last year, the Wasps defeated the Tigers by a 2-1 score, snapping a 10-year run by HSC.
-photo courtesy of Kymn Hamley