LYNCHBURG, Va. – The No. 17 Lynchburg College Men's Soccer Team (13-1-3, 7-0-1 ODAC) remained atop the Old Dominion Athletic Conference standings with a 3-0 win over visiting Emory & Henry College (10-7-1, 2-5-1 ODAC) Wednesday evening. The Hornets are ranked nationally by the National Soccer Coaches' Association of America (NSCAA) and are the No. 3 team in the South Atlantic Region.
FINAL SCORE – No. 17 Lynchburg 3, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia – Shellenberger Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (10-7-1, 2-5-1 ODAC); No. 17 Lynchburg (13-1-3, 7-0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- After the first 30 minutes of the game went scoreless, Lynchburg got on the board with a goal in the 34th minute. Fredy Flores crossed a ball into the box and Nate Berning was able to head it in for the score.
- Coming out of the break with a 1-0 lead, the Hornets added to their tally at the 57:55 mark on a strike by Zach Thomas.
- The last score came from Ryan Pikunas with 28:28 left to play to make the final margin, 3-0.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) led the way with two shots, putting one of them on frame while sophomore midfielder Colin Foley (Chesapeake, Va.) also had a shot on goal.
- Senior goalkeeper Didier Grillet (Matthews, N.C.) made nine saves, playing the full match in net.
Lynchburg Individual Leaders
- Berning finished the match with a goal on two shots while Thomas and Pikunas converted their only attempts of the evening.
- Ryan Mayolo and John Mackey also had a pair of shots each, putting one on target.
- Cory Budka earned the win, combining with two other LC keepers to earn the shutout.
A Deeper Look
- Lynchburg posted a 20-7 lead in shots and notched a 12-2 margin on attempts going on frame.
- The Hornets took nine corner kicks in the match, six coming in the first half while the Wasps had four corners, getting three of their attempts after the intermission.
- Both teams were flagged once for offside violations.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Saturday for its final regular season match of the year.
- The Wasps will host the Royals of Eastern Mennonite University at 4:00 p.m., completing a doubleheader with the women's soccer team.
- E&H will honor its three seniors prior to the start of Saturday's contest.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass