EMORY, Va. – The Eastern Mennonite University Men's Soccer Team (9-7-4, 4-3-2 ODAC) scored once in each half as it closed out the regular season with a 2-0 win over Emory & Henry College (10-8-1, 2-6-1 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action. Prior to the start of play, the Wasps honored their three seniors competing in the final home match of their careers.
FINAL SCORE – Eastern Mennonite 2, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (10-8-1, 2-6-1 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (9-7-4, 4-3-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Eastern Mennonite got things started with a free kick goal at the 39:18 mark. Emmanuel Boamah directed the strike towards the goal and beat the goalkeeper to the end line for the score.
- The Wasps had their best chance to get on the board 5:37 into the second half as senior midfielder Zach Quest (Charlotte, N.C.) put a shot into the top right corner of the goal but the Royals' keeper scrambled to keep the ball out of the net.
- The final score came with 9:04 as Dylan Polley headed in a cross from Dave Drafton to the near post to make the score 2-0.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Quest led the way with a trio of shots on goal while sophomore forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) had three shots, putting two on frame them on frame.
- Freshman Austin Hylton (Chester, Va.) added three shots while sophomore midfielder Colin Foley (Chesapeake, Va.) took two shots with one going on target.
- Senior goalkeeper Didier Grillet (Matthews, N.C.) made tallied six saves in the contest, playing the full way for the 15th-straight match.
Eastern Mennonite Individual Leaders
- Boamah and Polley had two shots each, both putting a shot in the back of the net.
- Dominic Powers tallied three shots on goal while Daniel Obour took three attempts.
- Matther Overacker earned the shutout, making seven saves.
A Deeper Look
- The two squads were an even 17-17 on shots with the Royals holding a slim, 8-7 advantage on shots on goal.
- Both teams took six corner kicks, three in each half.
- Eastern Mennonite was called offside on four different occasions.
- With the completion of the regular season, Emory & Henry will now await the release of the All-ODAC Teams.
-photo courtesy of Taylor Jefferson