EMORY, Va. – The Guilford College Men's Soccer Team (2-12, 2-3 ODAC) got the go-ahead goal in the 28th minute and held on through an Emory & Henry College (4-9-1, 0-4-1 ODAC) barrage to claim a 2-1 Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory Wednesday night.
FINAL SCORE – Guilford 2, Emory & Henry 1
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-9-1, 0-4-1 ODAC); Guilford (2-12, 2-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got on the board at the 12:03 mark as senior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) made his way down the left side, took a path toward the goal and powered a ball past the keeper.
- The Quakers equalized just 15 seconds later on an unassisted goal by Ricky Aguilar.
- In the 28th minute, Omar Solis finished a perfect pass by A.J. Hawkins inside the six-yard box for what would prove to be the match-winner.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Couch's goal was the major firepower for E&H as he added a total of seven shots - including three on target - to his score.
- Junior forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) had four shots while junior defender Nathan Neisius (Powhatan, Va.) took three attempts on set pieces.
- Freshman goalkeeper Samuel Irvin (Charlottesville, Va.) had six saves in the contest.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Ricky Aguilar and Jason Aguilar put up five shots each for a total of seven shots on goal.
- Michael McShane earned the win in net, making three saves.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry held a 21-17 lead on shots but GC claimed a 9-4 advantage on shots on goal.
- The Wasps also led, 9-3, on corner kicks and forced the Quakers offside on two separate occasions.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road for its next match, an ODAC tussle with Randolph College on Saturday at 4:30 p.m.