EMORY, Va. – Both the Emory & Henry College Men's (2-8, 0-2 ODAC) and Women's Tennis (3-7, 0-2 ODAC) teams suffered setbacks in their second Old Dominion Athletic Conference matchups of the season. Both teams fell by a 7-2 score to Roanoke College Saturday afternoon. John Dalton Ferguson (Gate City, Va.) continues to be a strong number one player for the men's team, after winning his sixth match of the season at No. 1 singles.
- Dalton Shipley (Gate City, Va.)and Luke Funkhouser (Gate City, Va.) fell at one doubles, 8-3.
- Ferguson and Grayson McCarty (Gate City, Va.) picked up a big 8-3 victory at two doubles.
- Cooper Garrett (Gate City, Va.) and James Watson-Dare (Charlotte, N.C.) played in a great match at three doubles. The tandem wound up losing, 9-8, however.
- Ferguson picked up his sixth victory on the year in a 6-4, 6-4 win.
- Funkhouser played strong, but lost, 7-5, 6-1.
- Shipley was vanquished 6-1, 6-1.
- McCarty went down, 6-3, 6-1.
- Watson-Dare was defeated, 6-1, 6-3.
- At six sinlges, Liam Davidson (Newport News, Va.) also lost, 6-1, 6-3.
- Liz Graham (Bristol, Va.)and Savanna Summers (Bluff City, Tenn.) were toppled at one doubles, 8-4.
- At two doubles, Lauren Riner (Coeburn, Va.) and Kala Curtis (Locust Grove, Va.) took a tough 8-1 loss as partners.
- Kaitlyn Sheaves (Staunton, Va.) and Katie Meade (Coeburn, Va.) earned the team's lone victory at doubles, with an 8-3 win.
- Riner was defeated, 6-2, 6-3, at one singles.
- Graham played a hard fought match and won, 7-6, 7-5, at two singles
- Summers went to a tiebreaker before her match was decided. She fell 2-6, 6-0, 10-8.
- Meade lost at four singles, 6-3, 6-4.
- Sheaves was defeated, 6-3, 6-1.
- Curtis closed the match with a 6-3, 7-5 loss.
- The next match will be Sunday, March 25, at Bristol Racquet & Fitness Club. The match time has also been changed to 4:00 p.m. The teams will face ODAC opponent, Randolph College.
-photo courtesy of Taylor Jefferson