LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Cross Country Teams faced off against some of the top NCAA Division III teams in the country Saturday, competing at the Greater Louisville Classic. The Wasps competed in the "Silver" races which served as a preview for the 2016 NCAA Division III Championships.
MEN'S RESULT – 36th/43
WOMEN'S RESULT – 32nd/39
LOCATION – Louisville, Kentucky – E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park
The Men – 8K (5 miles)
- Senior Alex Cooper (Christiansburg, Va.) turned in a time of 28:13 to lead the Wasps.
- Senior Kevin Watts (Stafford, Va.) was second on the team with a 28:34 while sophomore Austin Tolbert (Wytheville, Va.) clocked a 29:14.
- Sophomore Zane Moran (Floyd, Va.) senior Jackson Feezell (Gastonia, N.C.) finished in 29:22 and 30:20 respectively to round out the top five.
- Zach Plank of North Central (Illinois) College won the event by 16 seconds, stopping the watches in 24:53.
- North Central, the No.1-ranked team in NCAA Division III took the team title, placing six runners in the top 10.
The Women – 6K (3.7 miles)
- Freshman Erica Grupp (Charlottesville, Va.) was Emory & Henry's number one finisher, running a 25:26 while senior Elizabeth Wilson (Roanoke, Va.) finished second on the squad in 25:46.
- Sophomore Kayla Mulkey (Wise, Va.) was third in 27:07 while sophomore McKenna Tankersley (Big Stone Gap, Va.) was the Wasps No. 4 runner (28:31).
- Sophomore Taylor Henderson (Glade Spring, Va.) was fifth for E&H in 28:56.
- Amy Regan of Stephens Institute of Technology won the race with a time of 20:55, 25 seconds ahead of her nearest competitor.
- Hope College was crowned the team champion, finishing just five points ahead of Bates College.
- Emory & Henry will be back in action next Saturday in the Piedmont Invitational in Tallulah Falls, Georgia.
- The meet will see the Wasps take on some unfamiliar competition as it is the preview meet for the USA South Athletic Conference Championships later in the month.