MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Cross Country Teams completed the 2016 season Saturday morning at the NCAA Division III South/Southeast Region Championships. Berry College, a member institution of the Southern Athletic Association, served as the host of this year's regional championships.
MEN'S RESULT – 25th/29
WOMEN'S RESULT – 23rd/27
LOCATION – Mount Berry, Georgia – Clara Bowl Course
The Men – 8K (5 miles)
- Sophomore Austin Tolbert (Wytheville, Va.) led E&H with a time of 28:11 to finish 97th overall.
- Senior Kevin Watts (Stafford, Va.) turned in a time of 28:36 for 120th, while senior Alex Cooper (Christiansburg, Va.) was 159th in 29:40.
- Sophomore Zane Moran (Floyd, Va.) and senior Jackson Feezell (Gastonia, N.C.) ran times of 30:31 and 30:36, respectively to round out the top five for the Wasps.
- Grayson Reid of Christopher Newport University led the Captains to the team championship with a time of 25:02. CNU placed its five scoring runners inside the top 20.
- Washington and Lee University and Emory University posted top-three finishes as a team.
The Women – 6K (3.7 miles)
- Freshman Erica Grupp (Charlottesville, Va.) was Emory & Henry's number one finishing 80th overall with a time of 25:01.
- Senior Elizabeth Wilson (Roanoke, Va.) posted a 26:15 to finish 126th in the race.
- Freshman Maddie Copenhaver (Glade Spring, Va.) and sophomore McKenna Tankersley (Big Stone Gap, Va.) went 29:02 and 29:04, respectively as sophomore Taylor Henderson (Glade Spring, Va.) rounded out the Wasps' squad with a time of 30:09.
- Serena Gale-Butto of Centre College was the regional medalist, running a 21:51.
- Emory took the team title, putting five runners in the top 20 while Rhodes College and Christopher Newport took second and third.
-photo courtesy of Michael Cawood