DEMOREST, Ga. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (1-1) split a pair of games to open the 2017 season Saturday in the Piedmont Classic. The Wasps fell by a 1-0 score to the Majors of Millsaps College (5-3) to start things off and picked up a 3-2 win over the Greensboro College Pride (0-2) to complete the day.
GAME ONE – Millsaps 1, Emory & Henry 0
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 3, Greensboro 2
LOCATION – Demorest, Georgia – Walker Athletic Complex
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-1, 0-0 ODAC); Greensboro (0-2, 0-0 USA South); Millsaps (5-3, 0-0 SAA)
Emory & Henry vs. Millsaps
- Millsaps got on the board in the top of the first inning, as Kendall Carter scored from second base on a throwing error after Rayne Gravat reached on a line drive single.
- The contest became a pitchers' duel with 10 three-up, three-downs over the seven innings of play.
- The Majors threatened to score again in the fourth but the Wasps got themselves out of the jam and kept the score 1-0.
- Emory & Henry got its best chance in the bottom of the seventh. Sophomore right fielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) broke up the Millsaps no-hitter with a one-out triple. A two-out walk drawn by junior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) put the winning run aboard, but the Wasps were unable to manufacture any more offense.
- Kayla Davidson earned the one-hit win for Millsaps, striking out nine while junior right-hander Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) took the loss, allowing just one unearned run on two hits with three strikeouts.
Emory & Henry vs. Greensboro
- The Wasps got things started with a run in the top of the second as senior third baseman Ragan Halsey (Hillsville, Va.) hit a RBI single.
- Emory & Henry pushed its lead to 3-0 after the fifth as freshman shortstop Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.) plated a run in both frames, a double in the fourth and a sacrifice fly in the fifth.
- Greensboro closed the gap to 3-2 in the sixth highlighted by Hayley Rumley's RBI triple.
- In the bottom of the seventh, the Pride put runners on the corners with one out but the Wasps' defense held to get the final two outs and the win.
- E&H freshman Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) earned the win, scattering two hits on seven runs with two strikeouts over six innings. Kendrick picked up her first save as a Wasp. Hayley Tickle suffered the loss, allowing three runs on 12 hits with two strikeouts.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior Danielle Loving (Elizabethton, Tenn.) led the way offensive with two runs on three hits while Anderson put up a trio of extra-base hits and drew a walk.
- Herron finished the day with two hits and two RBI while Halsey and senior catcher Jordan Chrisley (Dublin, Va.) each had a pair of base knocks.
- Emory & Henry will play two more games in the Piedmont Classic on Sunday.
- The Wasps will face the host Piedmont Lions on Sunday morning at 9:00 a.m., and take on Greensboro for a second time on the weekend at 3:30 p.m.