DEMOREST, Ga. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (1-2) dropped its slate of games in the final day of the Piedmont Classic Sunday. The Wasps fell, 1-0, to the host Piedmont Lions (5-4) Sunday morning and capped off competition with a 7-4 loss to Greensboro College (1-3) in their last game of the weekend.
GAME ONE – Piedmont 1, Emory & Henry 0
GAME TWO – Greensboro 7, Emory & Henry 4
LOCATION – Demorest, Georgia – Walker Athletic Complex
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-3, 0-0 ODAC); Greensboro (1-3, 0-0 USA South); Piedmont (5-4, 0-0 USA South)
Emory & Henry vs. Piedmont
- After two innings of scoreless softball, Piedmont go on the board in the top of the third, playing as the visitors. With two outs and runners on the corners, Audrey Esakoff broke for home and was able to score to make the score 1-0.
- The Wasps got runners on second and third with no outs in the bottom of the sixth, but the Lions were able to retire the next three batters to preserve the one-run advantage.
- A 1-2-3 inning by Piedmont in the seventh brought E&H back to bat. A leadoff walk brought the winning run to the plate, but three straight popups sealed the win for PC.
- Melissa Eckman earned the complete-game shutout, scattering six hits and six strikeouts over the seven innings.
- E&H freshman Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) suffered the loss despite allowing just one run on three hits with four strikeouts.
Emory & Henry vs. Greensboro
- The first three and a half innings went blank before the Pride put four runs up in the bottom of the fourth. A single up the middle by Cassie Collins highlighted the frame, driving in two.
- Emory & Henry answered in the top of the sixth as senior second baseman Danielle Loving (Elizabethton, Tenn.) blasted a two-run home run to make the score 4-2.
- Greensboro got three more runs in the bottom of the sixth thanks to a hit, two errors and a pair of walks.
- The Wasps scored two more in the top of the seventh, but would get no closer than 7-4 as sophomore Vangie Borchert (Asheboro, N.C.) tagged a pinch-hit double and right fielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) added a sacrifice fly.
- Maddie Wetherholt picked up the win, allowing one earned run on five hits with four strikeouts.
- Wasp junior Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) took the loss, battling through six unearned runs and three strikeouts in 5.1 innings of work.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Loving led the way with a trio of hits including a home run, and two RBI while senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) had three hits and two walks.
- Senior infielder Riley Pudney (Beech Mountain, N.C.) also had three hits while Borchert and junior centerfielder Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) each had a hit and a run.
- Emory & Henry will next take the field on Sunday, February 26 when it visits Methodist University for a traditional doubleheader.
- First pitch between the Wasps and Monarchs is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.