FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (3-3) picked up a doubleheader shutout sweep of Methodist University (2-12) Sunday afternoon at Don Price Field. The Wasps won game one by a 3-0 score and wrapped up the series with a 9-0 run-rule win in six innings.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 3, Methodist 0
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 9, Methodist 0
LOCATION – Fayetteville, North Carolina – Don Price Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-3, 0-0 ODAC); Methodist (2-12, 0-0 USA South)
- Emory & Henry got on the board with two runs in the second as junior centerfielder Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) had a sacrifice fly and sophomore catcher Amanda Whitlow (Riner, Va.) tagged a double to right.
- The Wasps added a third run for insurance in the top of the seventh when junior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) doubled to right center.
- E&H freshman Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) picked up the complete-game shutout win, allowing just two hits with two strikeouts to move to 2-1 on the year.
- Emily Hester took the loss for the Monarchs, allowing three runs on nine hits with three strikeouts.
- The Wasps put two runs up in the top of the third to get things started. Sophomore first baseman Vangie Borchert (Asheboro, N.C.) had a single to right field to highlight the frame.
- Emory & Henry pushed its advantage to 6-0 with a four-run third. Sophomore left fielder Holly Britt (Floyd, Va.) got things started with a single through the right side and the Wasps added three more on an error by the third baseman.
- Senior second baseman Riley Pudney (Beech Mountain, N.C.) had a RBI single in the fifth and E&H got itself over the Eight-Run Advantage threshold in the sixth with two more scores. Senior second baseman Alison Hughs (Woodlawn, Tenn.) ripped a single up the middle to drive in the final run.
- Junior Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) struck out seven in the complete-game shutout, allowing just four hits.
- Chloe Hespeler allowed seven runs on eight hits in 4.1 innings of work. The MU defense committed nine errors in the game to make five of E&H's nine runs unearned.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Hodge went five-for-seven across the two games with three doubles to lead the Wasps while Elswick had three this and three runs.
- Pudney went added three hits while senior third baseman Ragan Halsey (Hillsville, Va.) scored three times on two hits.
Methodist Individual Leaders
- Jessica Orwick went two-for-two in one game played while Samantha Jacobs also reached base twice, hitting a triple in game one.
- Emory & Henry picks up its first doubleheader shutout sweep since defeating Bridgewater College on the road in the 2014 season.
- Emory & Henry will have its home-opening weekend on Saturday, March 4 and Sunday, March 5 as it hosts Marietta College and Oberlin College in the second annual Emory & Henry Tri-Header.
- All three teams will play a pair of games both days in a double round-robin format.
- The Wasps will face Marietta on Saturday at noon and take on Oberlin at 2:00 p.m. Oberlin match up against Marietta at 10:00 a.m.