EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (9-3) picked up a doubleheader sweep over Salem College (10-9) Friday afternoon for a perfect 6-0 home record in the month of March. The Wasps came from behind to defeat the Spirits by a 9-8 score in game one and picked up a 7-0 shutout in the nightcap.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 9, Salem 8
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 7, Salem 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Wasps Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (9-3, 0-0 ODAC); Salem (10-9, 2-2 USA South)
- Salem got out to a 2-0 lead thanks to single runs in the first and third innings. Briana Crumley accounted for both of the runs as she scored in the first after reaching base on a two-out single and hit a solo shot in the third.
- Emory & Henry closed the gap to 2-1 in the bottom of the fourth thanks to a solo shot by senior designated player Danielle Loving (Elizabethton, Tenn.).
- Five runs by Salem in the top of the fifth made the score 7-1. Breanna Herman tagged a three-run shot down the left field line to highlight the frame. The Spirits pushed their advantage to 8-1 with a run in the top of the sixth.
- In the bottom of the sixth, E&H's offense woke up. The Wasps sent 12 batters to the plate, scoring eight runs thanks to nine hits to go up 9-8. Junior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) led off the inning with a solo home run while junior centerfielder Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) plated two with a triple later in the frame.
- Emory & Henry held on through the top of the seventh for the 9-8 win.
- Freshman Caitlyn Yates (Coeburn, Va.) earned the win in relief, pitching the sixth, while junior Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) returned to the game for the seventh to pick up the save.
- Brianna Morris suffered the loss in relief for Salem.
- The Wasps opened up a 3-0 lead after two innings scoring a pair in the bottom of the second.
- E&H pushed its advantage to 5-0 with two runs in the bottom of the fourth. Sophomore right fielder Rachel Smoot (Riner, Va.) led the frame off and was driven home on the next at bat by sophomore left fielder Holly Britt's (Floyd, Va.) single.
- Sophomore catcher Amanda Whitlow (Riner, Va.) plated a pair with a single to centerfield in the fifth to make the score 7-0.
- Salem put together its best offensive inning of the game in the top of the seventh but left the bases loaded as Emory & Henry came away with its fourth shutout of the season.
- Freshman Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) picked up the complete-game victory, allowing just four hits and one walk with two strikeouts.
- Morris took the loss for the second time of the day, allowing five earned runs on 10 hits in five innings pitched.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Loving went five-for-seven on the day, hitting for the cycle across the two games. She also scored four runs and drove in a pair.
- Hodge had four hits including a home run and two RBI while senior second baseman Riley Pudney (Beech Mountain, N.C.) added three hits.
- Freshman shortstop Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.) had two doubles and scored a pair of runs while Smoot added three runs scored and two hits.
Salem Individual Leaders
- Amanda Dacunto led the Spirits with four hits and a runs cored while Crumley scored twice on three hits.
- Morris had three hits and a run scored while Logan Bowling and Jennifer Vitarelli each added a pair of base knocks.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Florida for a slate of six games at Space Coast Spring Training next week.
- The Wasps will begin competition on Monday with a doubleheader against the University of the Cumberlands (Ky.) in Cocoa Beach, Florida. First pitch is scheduled for 10:30 a.m.