TITUSVILLE, Fla. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (11-3) won its first two Spring Break games at Space Coast Spring Training Monday, defeating the University of the Cumberlands (Ky.) (6-12). The Wasps picked up a 3-0 shutout in game one and rallied from two runs down in game two for a 4-2 victory.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 3, Cumberlands (Ky.) 0
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 4, Cumberlands (Ky.) 2
LOCATION – Titusville, Florida – Chain of Lakes Park
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-3, 0-0 ODAC); Cumblerlands (Ky.) (6-12, 0-0 Mid-South)
- Emory & Henry got on the board with a pair of runs in the bottom of the second. Senior catcher Jordan Chrisley (Dublin, Va.) and freshman right fielder Caitlyn Yates (Coeburn, Va.) each had RBI singles in the frame.
- The Wasps extended their lead to 3-0 in the third as senior first baseman Danielle Loving (Elizabethton, Tenn.) drove in a run with her single to left.
- Junior Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) picked up the complete-game shutout, striking out nine.
- Sydney Maynard suffered the loss for the Patriots, allowing three runs on seven hits with two walks.
- The Patriots took a 2-0 lead after the bottom of the first thanks in part to four hits including a RBI single by Hannah Stephenson.
- E&H answered in the top of the third with four runs to take a 4-2 advantage. The inning was highlighted by a two-run double by junior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) while Loving also had a run-scoring base hit in the frame.
- The final four innings would go down scoreless as the Wasps completed their sweep against the NAIA Patriots, 4-2.
- Freshman Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) earned the complete-game victory in the circle, allowing two runs on eight hits with two strikeouts.
- Taryn Sigl of Cumberlands took the loss, allowing four runs (three unearned) on six hits and five walks despite striking out six.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Hodge went three-for-three on the day with a double, a run scored, two RBI and four walks.
- Loving added three hits and two RBI of her own while Yates went two-for-two with a run batted in.
- Junior centerfielder Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) had a base hit and was hit by a pitch, scoring twice.
Cumberlands Individual Leaders
- Kaylee James led the Patriots with three hits, scoring once.
- Amber Mainord and Madison Monnin each had a pair of hits while Monnin added a walk.
- Emory & Henry will travel across the Sunshine State to Minneola for a pair of games at the Minneola Athletic Complex on Tuesday.
- The Wasps will open the day at 9:00 a.m., against Framingham State University from Framingham, Massachusetts.
- E&H's second game of the day will be against Washington University in St. Louis at 2:00 p.m.