HARRISONBURG, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (15-5, 1-1 ODAC) split its pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference games Saturday afternoon against Eastern Mennonite University (13-3, 1-3 ODAC). The Wasps won game one, 2-1, while the Royals took game two, 6-2, in E&H's first action in 10 days.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 2, Eastern Mennonite 1
GAME TWO – Eastern Mennonite 6, Emory & Henry 2
LOCATION – Harrisonburg, Virginia – Gehman Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-5, 1-1 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (13-3, 1-3 ODAC)
- EMU got on the board in the bottom of the second as Savannah Jones drove in a run with an extra-base hit to right field. Jones attempted to make it an inside-the-park home run, but was thrown out before she could cross the plate.
- Emory & Henry tied the game in the third on a single by freshman first baseman Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.). The Wasps got the go-ahead run in the top of the seventh when junior designated player Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) tagged a double to centerfield, driving in junior centerfielder Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) from second base.
- Junior pitcher Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) picked up the complete-game win, allowing just one unearned run on four hits with six strikeouts.
- Eastern Mennonite's Lauren Seale suffered the loss despite not allowing an earned run, with six strikeouts to her credit.
- The Royals put up the first offense in the nightcap with a run in the bottom of the first.
- Emory & Henry responded to tie the game, 1-1, in the second on a solo home run by senior shortstop Danielle Loving (Elizabethton, Tenn.).
- EMU scored twice in the third to retake the lead, 3-1, as Sydney Reath knocked a two-run homer to left field.
- In the fourth, the Wasps got within 3-2 on a single up the middle by Loving.
- The three runs scored by EMU in the bottom half of the fourth were enough to make it a 6-2 game, which would hold for the final score. Reath plated a pair with a double to left field to highlight the frame.
- Reath also earned the complete-game win, allowing just two runs on seven hits.
- Wasp freshman Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing five runs on 10 hits with two strikeouts in 3.1 innings pitched.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Loving led the Wasps with three hits, two runs and a pair of RBI while Hodge had a trio of doubles, scored a run and drove in another.
- Thomas also put up three base hits while Elswick finished the day with two hits and a run scored.
Eastern Mennonite Individual Leaders
- Reath went three-for-seven, scoring three runs and driving in four while Jones also had a trio of hits and a RBI.
- Seale and Beck Hoskins both put up a pair of hits and scored a run while Alexa Sheets tallied a pair of base knocks.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Randolph on Wednesday for an ODAC doubleheader with the WildCats. First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m.
- As a reminder, the Wasps' conference date with Bridgewater College, originally scheduled for tomorrow, has been pushed back to Sunday, April 9.