LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Emory College Softball Team (17-5, 3-1 ODAC) picked up a pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference road victories Wednesday afternoon over Randolph College (15-11, 2-6 ODAC). The Wasps won the opener by a 5-2 score and rallied for a come-from-behind, extra innings victory, 4-3, to close out the day.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 5, Randolph 2
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 4, Randolph 3 (eight innings)
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia – Randolph Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (17-5, 3-1 ODAC); Randolph (15-11, 2-6 ODAC)
- Emory & Henry got out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first on double to left field by freshman first baseman Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.).
- The WildCats cut the deficit in half in the bottom of the third on a double by Hunter Glavé.
- In the fifth, the Wasps pushed their advantage to 4-1 thanks to senior shortstop Danielle Loving's (Elizabethton, Tenn.) two-run double to left centerfield. E&H went up by a 5-1 margin in the sixth as junior second baseman Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) tagged a solo home run, her second of the year.
- Randolph got a run back in the bottom half of the frame to make the final score 5-2. Glavé, who led off the inning with a one-out double, was able to reach home after an error by the catcher.
- Wasp junior Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) earned the win, allowing one earned run on five hits with five strikeouts for her eighth complete game of the season.
- Lindsey Chaney allowed five runs on nine hits despite striking out five in the loss.
- The WildCats scored a pair of runs in the bottom of the first highlighted by Jordyn Knapp's RBI single.
- E&H answered in the second to tie the game, 2-2, with sophomore right fielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) and freshman centerfielder Caitlyn Yates (Coeburn, Va.) each tallying run-scoring base knocks.
- RC went ahead 3-2 in the bottom of the second after an error by the first baseman allowed Becca Montgomery to score from third.
- The Wasps would knot the score at three runs apiece in the fourth thanks to a RBI groundout by Yates which plated Anderson, who led the inning off with a single.
- The next three and a half innings went scoreless to force extra innings. Both E&H and RC had offensive opportunities as they each stranded two runners in the sixth.
- Emory & Henry got the go-ahead run in the top of the eight when senior Jordan Chrisley (Dublin, Va.) drove in freshman Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.) with a pinch-hit single. The Wasps would hold on for the 4-3 win, sending the WildCats down in order in the bottom of the frame.
- Kendrick earned the win in relief, pitching the final 2.2 innings in shutout form with just two hits.
- Abbi Pannill suffered the loss for Randolph, allowing one unearned run on three hits in four innings pitched.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Loving and Elswick each had three hits and two runs with Loving driving in a pair. Elswick had the only home run of the day.
- Anderson added three hits, a run and a RBI while Yates and Thomas each had two hits and two runs driven in.
Randolph Individual Leaders
- Kate Hodgkiss led the way with four base hits and a run scored while Knapp scored twice on two hits with a RBI.
- Glavé notched a pair of doubles, a run and a RBI while Lauren Morris added two base knocks.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Saturday for an ODAC doubleheader against No. 3 Virginia Wesleyan College. First pitch will be at 1:00 p.m.
- The twin-billing will also serve as the Wasps' annual Light It Up Blue Day in support of the Autism Speaks foundation.