EMORY, Va. – The No. 3 Virginia Wesleyan College Softball Team (27-1, 8-0 ODAC) earned a doubleheader sweep over Emory & Henry College (17-7, 3-3 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play. The Marlins won the series by scores of 11-5 and 3-2.
The game also served as the Wasps' annual Light It Up Blue Day, raising awareness for Autism and funds for the Autism Speaks Foundation.
GAME ONE – No. 3 Virginia Wesleyan 11, Emory & Henry 5
GAME TWO – No. 3 Virginia Wesleyan 3, Emory & Henry 2
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Wasps Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (17-7, 3-3 ODAC); No. 3 Virginia Wesleyan (27-1, 8-0 ODAC)
- The Marlins got on the board with two runs in the top of the first and added a score in the second for a 3-0 lead.
- Emory & Henry got on the board in the bottom half of the second as senior second baseman Danielle Loving (Elizabethton, Tenn.) ripped a ball off the left field wall which allowed her to round the bases for an inside-the-park home run.
- Loving gave the Wasps a 4-3 advantage with a towering three-run shot in the bottom of the third.
- Virginia Wesleyan answered in the top of the fourth with four runs, highlighted by a one-out home run by Kiersten Richardson to take a 7-4 advantage.
- The Marlins made it 11-4 in the top of the sixth on a grand slam by Hanna Hull.
- Emory & Henry got a run back in the bottom of the seventh to make the final 11-5 score. Junior centerfielder Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) provided the RBI single to drive in senior catcher Jordan Chrisley (Dublin, Va.).
- Hull picked up the win to go along with her grand slam, allowing four runs on just three hits with eight strikeouts.
- Wasp junior Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing six earned runs in 5.1 innings of work with two strikeouts.
- VWC started things off with a run in the third on a single by Jessica Lindsay. The Marlins made it 2-0 in the fourth on a home run by Madison Glaubke.
- E&H tied the contest at two runs apiece in the bottom of the fifth. Junior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) and Loving each had RBI base hits in the frame.
- In the top of the sixth, the Marlins scored what would end up being the winning run on a solo home run by Lindsay.
- Courtney Wright got the win, scattering two runs on 10 hits with three strikeouts in six innings while Hull entered in the seventh to earn the save.
- Freshman right-hander Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) suffered the loss, despite allowing just three runs on eight hits with two strikeouts.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Loving led the Wasps, going four-for-seven at the plate with two runs, and five RBI while Hodge had a trio of base hits, a run and a RBI.
- Elswick, sophomore catcher Amanda Whitlow (Riner, Va.) and sophomore right fielder Rachel Smoot (Riner, Va.) each had a pair of base knocks while Elswick drove in a run.
Virginia Wesleyan Individual Leaders
- Lindsay went four-for-seven on the day with a run scored and two RBI while Howerin added four hits and two runs.
- Beth Ford and Teresa Cardamone each had three hits while Cardamone added two runs and three RBI. Hull finished the day with a win, a save, two hits, a run and four RBI.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Sunday when it hosts No. 15 Randolph-Macon College in an ODAC doubleheader.
- First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.