EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (18-8, 4-4 ODAC) split its Old Dominion Athletic Conference doubleheader against No. 15 Randolph-Macon College (20-4, 5-3 ODAC) Sunday afternoon at home. The Wasps picked up a 1-0 win in game one while the Yellow Jackets escaped with a 7-6 extra-inning victory in the nightcap.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 1, No. 15 Randolph-Macon 0
GAME TWO – No. 15 Randolph-Macon 7, Emory & Henry 6 (eight innings)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Wasps Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (18-8, 4-4 ODAC); No. 15 Randolph-Macon (20-4, 5-3 ODAC)
- Emory & Henry scored the lone run of the game in the bottom of the first. With one out and junior second baseman Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) on second base, junior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) hit a single down the left field line that pushed Elswick across the plate.
- The Wasps got baserunners in the third and fourth innings, but were unable to push them across to add to their lead.
- Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) earned the one-hit shutout win, with nine strikeouts. The junior faced the minimum number of batters as the Wasps threw out the only two Yellow Jackets to reach base.
- Candace Whittemore suffered the loss allowing one run on four hits with five strikeouts.
- The win was Emory & Henry's first over Randolph-Macon since the 2008 season.
- Randolph-Macon got out to a 2-0 lead in the first, highlighted by a double to right field by Harley Jones.
- E&H closed the gap to 2-1 in the bottom of the frame as senior second baseman Danielle Loving (Elizabethton, Tenn.) plated sophomore centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) from third base.
- In the second, the Yellow Jackets added another pair of runs to go up 4-1, but Elswick tagged a solo home run to center field for the Wasps to make it 4-2.
- After RMC scored two in the fourth to extend their lead to 6-2, E&H got a run back in the fifth as Loving drove in one with a fielder's choice.
- Emory & Henry tied the game six-all in the bottom of the seventh, scoring three runs on four hits. Anderson, sophomore designated player Madison McClanahan (Abingdon, Va.) and sophomore right fielder Rachel Smoot (Riner, Va.) each had RBI in the inning.
- In the eighth, Randolph-Macon retook the lead, 7-6, on a single up the middle by Sami Davidson. E&H loaded the bases with two outs in the bottom of the frame but could not produce a run.
- Whittemore earned the win, allowing five earned runs on 10 hits with three strikeouts in eight innings of work.
- Freshman Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) took the loss, allowing seven runs on 10 hits in four innings pitched. Kendrick threw four innings of shutout softball in the middle of the game.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Elswick went four-for-eight on the day with four runs scored and a RBI while Anderson scored two runs on three hits.
- Loving also added a trio of hits with two RBI while Hodge added a pair of base knocks.
Randolph-Macon Individual Leaders
- Davidson had three hits, a run and a RBI while Diane McDaniel added a trio of hits and a RBI.
- Shelby Hill scored twice on a pair of hits while Kerstin Roth had two hits, two RBI and scored a run.
- Emory & Henry will play its third-straight doubleheader at home on Wednesday when it hosts Roanoke College for an ODAC series.
- First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m.