WINCHESTER, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (21-9, 7-5 ODAC) assured itself of a winning season on Saturday by picking up a doubleheader split against Shenandoah University (10-20, 5-11 ODAC). The Hornets took game one by a 6-5 score in 10 innings while the Wasps salvaged the split with a 2-1 victory in the nightcap.
GAME ONE – Shenandoah 6, Emory & Henry 5 (10 innings)
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 2, Shenandoah 1
LOCATION – Winchester, Virginia – Hinkel-Harris Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (21-9, 7-5 ODAC); Shenandoah (10-20, 5-11 ODAC)
- Emory & Henry got on the board in the top of the first as junior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) had a RBI single up the middle.
- The Hornets put three runs on the board in the second highlighted by a two-run single by Karli Rorabaugh.
- E&H closed the gap to 3-2 on a double by senior shortstop Danielle Loving (Elizabethton, Tenn.). The Wasps took a 4-3 advantage in the sixth after sophomore centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) drove in a pair with a single to right field.
- Shenandoah tied the game, 4-all, in the bottom of the seventh on a double to left center by Ashlyn Drake, forcing extra innings.
- In the top of the eighth, senior third baseman Ragan Halsey (Hillsville, Va.) drove in sophomore Rachel Smoot (Riner, Va.) on a squeeze play to go up 5-4, but a SU sacrifice fly in the bottom of the frame tied the contest, 5-5.
- The Hornets earned the win in the 10th on a single down the right field line by Haley Koeninger.
- Katherine Seidl picked up the win in relief, allowing four runs on five hits with three strikeouts.
- Wasp junior Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) went the distance in the loss, allowing six runs on nine hits while striking out seven.
- The Wasps got on the board with a run in the top of the fourth as Halsey singled to third base, driving in Smoot.
- Shenandoah tied the contest in the bottom of the frame on a single to centerfield by Kristen Weadon.
- In the sixth, Emory & Henry got the go-ahead run. Halsey's bat came through once again with a single to second base which plated freshman designated player Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.).
- Freshman Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) got the complete-game win, scattering one run on 10 hits with four strikeouts.
- Seidl took the loss, allowing just one run on four hits in three innings of work.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Smoot went five-for-seven on the day with three runs scored while Halsey drove in a trio of runs with her three hits.
- Anderson had three hits and two RBI while junior second baseman Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) notched two hits and two runs. Hodge and Loving each had a RBI on two hits.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Rorabaugh led the way with three hits, two RBI and a run scored while Breanne Smith added three hits, two runs and a RBI.
- Makaela Dawkins and Lindsay Corbin each had three hits and a run while Dawkins tacked on a RBI.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road Sunday when it faces Bridgewater College in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
- First pitch for the doubleheader is at 1:00 p.m.