GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (24-10, 10-6 ODAC) split its pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference games at Guilford College (25-11, 10-6 ODAC) Tuesday afternoon. The Wasps took game one by a 5-2 score while the Quakers rallied from a 4-0 deficit in game two to steal the split.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 5, Guilford 2
GAME TWO – Guilford 5, Emory & Henry 4
LOCATION – Greensboro, North Carolina – Haworth Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (24-10, 10-6 ODAC); Guilford (25-11, 10-6 ODAC)
- After two scoreless innings, Emory & Henry got on the board in the top of the third as junior second baseman Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) plated a run with a sacrifice fly.
- The Wasps pushed their advantage to 4-0 after three runs in the fourth. Freshman designated player Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.) highlighted the inning with a two-run single to left field.
- A single through the left side by Guilford's Courtney Lackey made the score 4-1 in the bottom of the fourth.
- E&H answered in the sixth with a solo home run by junior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) for a 5-1 lead.
- Lackey put up another RBI single for the Quakers, this time in the bottom of the sixth to draw the final score to 5-2.
- Junior Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) earned the complete-game win, allowing just two runs on nine hits with two strikeouts.
- Lackey suffered the loss for Guilford, allowing five runs on six hits with a walk and two strikeouts.
- The Wasps got out to a 4-0 lead in the top of the first. Thomas drove in the first run of the game with a bases-loaded single to shallow centerfield and then back-to-back walks made the score 3-0. A fielder's choice by senior third baseman Ragan Halsey (Hillsville, Va.) allowed Thomas to score from third.
- Guilford was able to tie the game in the bottom of the third. After Jordan Starke led off the inning with a double, a triple by Natalie Conrad put the Quakers on the board. A pair of errors and a two-out single by Anna Wolfe knotted the game at four-all.
- In the bottom of the fifth, GC got the go-ahead run from Caroline Barnette, who was plated by Starke's second double of the contest. Emory & Henry put the potential tying-run on base in the top of the sixth, but the Quakers held on for the 5-4 win and the split.
- Makayla Carver picked up the win, allowing four runs on five hits with five strikeouts, despite walking six as she struggled early with control.
- Freshman Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) pitched the first four innings of the game, allowing one earned run on seven hits. Kendrick took the loss in two innings of work, with one run on two hits.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Hodge went two-for-five with two walks and three runs scored while senior shortstop Danielle Loving (Elizabethton, Tenn.) had a pair of runs on three hits and a stolen base.
- Thomas drove in three and scored twice on her two hits while Elswick had two hits, a run and a RBI.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Shelby Helms lead the way with a five-for-seven afternoon at the plate while Starke had three hits, a run and a RBI.
- Lackey drove in two on her two hits while Sabrina Moreno, Kayli Blankenship and Wolfe each finished with a pair of base knocks.
- Emory & Henry will return home for an ODAC doubleheader against Sweet Briar College on Saturday.
- First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.