EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (26-10, 12-6 ODAC) recorded a shutout sweep of Sweet Briar College (0-26, 0-18 ODAC) Saturday afternoon at home. The Wasps won the pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference games by scores of 12-0 and 18-0.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 12, Sweet Briar 0
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 18, Sweet Briar 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Wasps Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (24-10, 10-6 ODAC); Guilford (25-11, 10-6 ODAC)
- Emory & Henry scored four runs in the bottom of the first, highlighted by a single down the right field line by senior designated player Alison Hughs (Woodlawn, Tenn.).
- The Wasps added three in the second to make the score 7-0 as junior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) tagged a two-run homer to centerfield.
- In the third, E&H put up three more runs for a 10-0 advantage. Hodge had a double to right center in the frame.
- Emory & Henry made the score 12-0 after the fourth with a pair of RBI base hits from Hughs and freshman Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.).
- Senior right-hander Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) struck out 10 in her second one-hit game of the season.
- Taylor Fischer took the loss for the Vixens.
- The Wasps put five on the board to start the second game. Junior centerfielder Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) had a solo shot to left field to lead off the contest while junior catcher Bailey Williams (Wilmington, N.C.) recorded a run-scoring triple.
- Emory & Henry exploded for 10 runs in the second to go up 15-0. With the bases loaded, sophomore first baseman Vangie Borchert (Asheboro, N.C.) drove in three with a single to centerfield while Williams, sophomore right fielder Rachel Smoot (Riner, Va.), freshman designated player Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.) and freshman third baseman Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.) each notched RBI doubles.
- E&H added a run in the third on a triple by senior Brittany Scott (Elizabethton, Tenn.) and Thomas highlighted a two-run fourth with her second home run of the year to make the final score 18-0.
- Cole earned the complete-game one-hitter, striking out seven.
- Kayla Dooms suffered the loss for SBC.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Over the course of the doubleheader, 16 differed Wasps registered base hits led by Hughs, who was a perfect five-for-five with two doubles, two RBI and a run scored.
- Elswick went five-for-six with five runs and a trio of extra-base hits while Smoot added three runs on three hits with two RBI.
- Hodge tacked on three runs, two hits and three RBI and Thomas put up three runs on two hits with two runs driven in.
- Emory & Henry will play its final non-conference doubleheader of the season on Tuesday when it travels to face Ferrum College.
- First pitch is set for 5:00 p.m.