FERRUM, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (28-10, 12-6 ODAC) picked up a doubleheader sweep over Ferrum College (23-19) on the road Tuesday afternoon. The Wasps won the contests by scores of 5-1 and 11-0, sweeping their non-conference rival for the second time in three years.
With the victories, the Wasps have tied for second for wins in a season, equaling the 28 wins the program achieved in the 2004 season (28-14).
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 5, Ferrum 1
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 11, Ferrum 0 (five innings)
LOCATION – Ferrum, Virginia – American National Bank & Trust Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (28-10, 10-6 ODAC); Ferrum (23-19, 14-8 USA South)
- Ferrum got on the board in the bottom of the first, manufacturing a run with a pair of singles and some defensive miscues by E&H. The Wasps put a pair of runners in scoring position with one out in the third but were unable to bring them home.
- In the top of the sixth, Emory & Henry scored a pair of runs to go up 2-1. With two outs and a runner on first base, freshman designated player Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.) tagged a two-run shot over the right centerfield wall.
- E&H put some distance between itself and FC in the top of the seventh scoring three runs. Freshman Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.) led the inning off with a pinch-hit solo home run to centerfield while junior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) plated a pair with a two-out double, making the score 5-1.
- Wasp junior right-hander Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) shut down the Panthers in the seventh to earn the complete-game victory, allowing just one run on four hits with nine strikeouts.
- Courtney Rudd suffered the loss, allowing five runs on seven hits, striking out six.
- The Wasps got started early, scoring three runs in the first. With two on and no outs, Hodge singled to centerfield, plating both while Herron drove in a run with a groundout.
- Emory & Henry added five runs in the second to make the score 8-0. Junior second baseman Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) hit a two-run blast with no outs to highlight the frame while Herron tacked on a RBI single.
- In the top of the third, E&H tacked on three more runs. Elswick got things started with a one-out double while Hodge provided two more runs with a two-bagger of her own, giving the Wasps an 11-0 advantage.
- Emory & Henry freshman pitcher Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) allowed just three hits in the game, picking up the run-rule shutout as the Wasps ended the game after five innings of play.
- Ashton Lambeth suffered the loss, allowing all 11 runs in just 2.1 innings of work.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Elswick went four-for-five with three doubles, a home run and four runs scored while sophomore centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) tacked on four runs on four hits.
- Hodge had four hits, six RBI and scored twice while Herron added a run and three RBI on her three base knocks.
Ferrum Individual Leaders
- Cheyenne Strickland and Amber Coffin each had a pair of base hits for the Panthers, while Coffin scored FC's only run of the day.
- Emory & Henry will conclude the regular season on Saturday at home when it hosts Lynchburg College in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference matchup.
- The doubleheader, which will also serve as Senior Day for the Wasps, is set to begin at 2:00 p.m.