MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (34-14) got its first taste of NCAA postseason action in 14 years on Friday morning, dropping a 4-1 decision to Transylvania University (32-11) in the Mount Berry Regional of the 2017 Division III Tournament.
Transylvania, the second seed in the regional and the automatic qualifier out of the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference, will advance to play the winner of the contest between host No. 2 Berry College Vikings and Thomas More College.
FINAL SCORE – Transylvania 4, Emory & Henry 1
LOCATION – Mount Berry, Georgia – Kay Williams Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (34-14); Transylvania (32-11)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got out to a 1-0 lead in the contest in the top of the third. Senior third baseman Ragan Halsey (Hillsville, Va.) led the frame off with a single up the middle and a sacrifice bunt put her in scoring position. Junior second baseman Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) stroked a double to left centerfield to plate the run.
- Transy took a 3-1 lead after the fourth. With two runners on and one out, Sydney Motell sent a fly ball over the left field fence.
- The Pioneers added an insurance run in the fifth. With Janelle Hynes on third base after a double and a wild pitch, Brittany Mumford singled through the left side to make the score 4-1.
- Renae Morton picked up the complete-game win in the circle for Transylvania, scattering one run on five hits with six strikeouts.
- Wasp junior Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing three earned runs on three hits with three strikeouts.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Elswick went two-for-three with a RBI while Halsey had a pair of hits and scored a run.
- Junior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) also provided a base hit for the Wasps.
Transylvania Individual Leaders
- Motell's three-run homer made the difference for the Pioneers while Mumford also added a RBI base knock.
- Shelby Gambrell and Shelbi Poehlein each tallied hits for TU.
Emory & Henry