WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (2-0, 0-0 ODAC) got the 2018 season off to a start with a pair of victories over Salem College (0-2, 0-0 USA South) Friday afternoon on the road. The Wasps took game one by an 8-0 score and notched a come-from-behind 8-7 win in game two.
With the win in game one, Head Coach Tommy Forrester earned his 100th victory at the helm of the Wasps. He becomes the fastest coach to reaches the 100-win plateau in program history.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 8, Salem 0
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 8, Salem 7
LOCATION – Winston-Salem, North Carolina
VENUE – Blixt Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-0, 0-0 ODAC); Salem (0-2, 0-0 USA South)
- The two teams battled through seven scoreless innings before Emory & Henry finally woke up the bats in the top of the seventh.
- The Wasps sent 12 batters to the plate in the seventh frame, scoring eight runs on six hits. Junior centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) and sophomore designated player Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.) both had RBI doubles to highlight the inning.
- E&H sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) pitched a two-hit shutout with one strikeout for the win. Miranda Barker suffered the loss, allowing seven unearned runs on seven hits despite five strikeouts.
- E&H got on the board early in the nightcap on a first-inning two-run shot by senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.). Salem answered in the bottom of the frame with three runs, highlighted by a two-run single by Brianna Morris.
- The Wasps went back ahead, 5-3, in the second but three runs by the Spirits in the bottom of the second made the score 6-5 thanks in part to a two-run home run by Barker.
- Both teams got single runs in the fourth for a 7-6 Salem lead.
- Emory & Henry went ahead for good in the top of the seventh highlighted by a double by Hodge.
- Freshman Alex Braun (Cornelius, N.C.) earned the win in relief, striking out five in four-plus innings of shutout work. Kayla Ogle suffered the loss for the Spirits despite striking out 12.
- Emory & Henry will play its first home games of the 2018 season on Thursday, February 15 against Ferrum College. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.