EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (4-1, 1-0 ODAC) hit 11 three-pointers and shot 54.1 percent from the field as it pulled away from Greensboro College (0-4), winning 93-60, Wednesday evening in non-conference action at home.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 93, Greensboro 60
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-1, 1-0 ODAC); Greensboro (0-4, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 7-2 lead but Greensboro tied things up at the 6:59 mark of the opening period. The two squads traded baskets for the remainder of the first quarter with the Pride leading, 19-17, after 10 minutes of play.
- The Wasps started the second frame with a 14-6 run to go up 31-25 with 5:58 to go in the half. E&H would hold the lead for the remainder of the game after seeing three ties and five lead changes in the opening quarter and a half. Emory & Henry took a 48-39 advantage into the locker room, scoring 10 of the final 15 points of the period.
- Coming out of the intermission, the Wasps quickly pushed their lead to 56-41 thanks to an 8-2 run over the opening 3:40. GC trimmed the margin back to 10 (63-53) at the end of the third, scoring the final five points of the period.
- The fourth quarter was all Wasps as they scored 18 straight over 5:30 to lead 81-53. After back-to-back buckets by Greensboro made the score 81-57, Emory & Henry finished the game on a 12-3 run for the 93-60 final margin.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- The Wasps placed four players in double figures in scoring led by sophomore forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) with 19 points on nine-for-10 shooting, six rebounds and four assists.
- Senior guard Megan Jacoby (Richmond, Va.) put up 18 points and 12 assists for the double-double and added six rebounds and two steals while senior guard Asja Jenkins (Richmond, Va.) tallied 15 points, eight boards, three assists and three steals.
- Freshman forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) notched 12 points off the bench while freshman forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) swept a game-high seven steals.
Greensboro Individual Leaders
- Kylee Barry led the Pride with 14 points off the bench while Katie Lewis had eight points and five rebounds.
- Heather Burton notched eight points while Rasheika Gregory and Keyona Hicks each contributed six points to the effort.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 54.1 percent (33-for-61) for the game blistering the nets at a 64.7 percent (11-for-17) pace in the second period. The Wasps also connected on a season-high 11 three-point field goals, going 11-for-26 (42.3%) from beyond the arc.
- Greensboro managed just a 22-for-60 (36.7%) shooting effort on the evening and hit just 25 percent (6-of-24) three-point attempts. The Pride went cold in the final quarter, shooting just 18.8 percent (3-for-16) from the field.
- Emory & Henry held a 36-22 advantage on points in the paint and scored 33 points off 30 Greensboro turnovers.
- The Wasps led, 36-34, on rebounding but eight offensive boards by the Pride translated into a 7-6 lead on second-chance points.
- Once again, E&H moved the ball efficiently on offense, assisting on 27 of its 33 field goals for a percentage of 81.8 while GC had 14 assists on the night.
- Emory & Henry wins its second game in a row over Greensboro and holds a 2-1 record against the Pride in the past three seasons. The Wasps won by a 57-55 score on the road a year ago.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home Saturday for an Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest against Shenandoah University. Tipoff is set for 2:00 p.m.
- Fans are encouraged to dig through their closets and wear their tackiest holiday sweater to the game.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass