FERRUM, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (9-3, 3-0 ODAC) started the New Year where it left off 2016 and remained perfect in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play with a 65-50 win over Roanoke College (6-6, 1-2 ODAC) Wednesday evening on the road.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 65, Roanoke 50
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia – Cregger Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (8-3, 3-0 ODAC); Roanoke (6-6, 1-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry built a 14-4 advantage at the 2:59 mark of the first period thanks to a 10-0 run which spanned 2:06. The Wasps would lead 16-8 after 10 minutes played.
- Eight straight points by E&H early in the second pushed the margin back to double digits (24-12) with 7:27 on the clock. Roanoke would close the gap down to two, 26-24 thanks to a 12-2 scoring run but the Wasps took a 31-27 lead into the break.
- Coming out of the locker room, the Maroons put the up the first bucket of the third quarter but that only awoke a 32-7 blitz by Emory & Henry for a 63-36 lead with 6:56 left to go in the game. A 17-1 run in the third and 10 straight points to cap the spurt in the fourth highlighted the 11-minute offensive outburst by E&H.
- The Wasps were able to get their starters some much-earned rest in the final six minutes of the game as the Maroons finished the contest by scoring 14 of the last 16 points for the 65-50 final margin.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) led all players with 14 points and 12 rebounds for her fifth double-double of the season.
- Freshman forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) had 12 points and nine rebounds while senior guard Megan Jacoby (Richmond, Va.) tacked on 10 points, five assists and six steals.
- Freshman forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) put up seven points, six rebounds and two blocks off the bench while sophomore guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) had eight points on the night.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- Carey Beahm led the Maroons with 12 points and 12 rebounds while Ellen Wagner put up 10 points and three boards.
- Molly Hassell had eight points and five rebounds while Allison Livengood tacked on six points off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry connected on 21-of-51 (41.2%) of its field goal attempts, despite shooting 15.8 percent (3-for-19) from behind the arc. The Wasps went 20-for-29 (69%) from the free throw line.
- Roanoke shot just 31.1 percent (19-of-61) for the game, also struggling from long range (2-for-13; 15.4%). The Maroons hit just 58.8 percent (10-for-17) of their attempts from the charity stripe.
- The Wasps held a 46-31 advantage on rebounding, however 12 offensive rebounds by the Maroons translated into a 14-12 lead on second-chance points.
- E&H won the battle down low, 36-26, and used its inside presence to get to the free throw line 29 times compared to just 17 by RC.
- Roanoke made the most of 27 Emory & Henry turnovers, outscoring the Wasps 25-22 on its ensuing plays.
- Emory & Henry returns home on Saturday for a key early season ODAC matchup against Randolph-Macon College. Tipoff between the Wasps and Yellow Jackets will be at 2:00 p.m.
- The game will be the first of a doubleheader with the E&H men's team.
- With snow in the forecast for this weekend, fans are strongly encouraged to use caution when traveling during periods of winter weather. Please be cautious in parking lots and sidewalks where melted and compacted snow can be extremely slippery.