EMORY, Va. – The Randolph-Macon College Women's Basketball Team (9-4, 3-1 ODAC) overcame an 11-point fourth-quarter deficit en route to a 62-58 win over Emory & Henry College (9-4, 3-1 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Randolph-Macon 62, Emory & Henry 58
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (9-4, 3-1 ODAC); Randolph-Macon (9-4, 3-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams battled to a 10-all tie at the 5:18 mark of the opening period. Emory & Henry finished the quarter on a 9-2 run for a 19-12 advantage after 10 minutes of play.
- In the second quarter the Wasps continued their run out to 22-5 for a 32-15 score with 7:11 to go before the intermission. The Yellow Jackets closed the margin to 38-25 at the half.
- Coming out of the locker room, Randolph-Macon scored the first 11 points of the third period to close the gap to, 38-36. Emory & Henry extended its lead back to eight and scored the final four points of the quarter to lead 53-43.
- The two teams went back and forth for the first 2:34 of the fourth for a Wasp lead, 58-47, with 7:26 left to play. E&H went cold from the field as R-MC scored the final 15 points of the game to rally to a 62-58 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Freshman forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) led the Wasps with 15 points and four rebounds while freshman guard Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) had nine points off the bench.
- Sophomore forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) put up eight points and six rebounds while senior guard Megan Jacoby (Richmond, Va.) added seven points, three rebounds, four assists and three steals.
- Senior guard Asja Jenkins (Richmond, Va.) and sophomore guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) each contributed six points.
Randolph-Macon Individual Leaders
- Kelly Williams turned in a double-double with 25 points and 13 rebounds, both game-highs. She shot 8-for-12 from the field and led all players with four blocks.
- Amber Lee scored 18 points and had nine rebounds and six steals while Michal Ross tallied seven points, seven rebounds four steals and three blocks off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 38.2 percent (21-for-55) for the game but went just 1-for-14 (7.1%) in the fourth quarter. The Wasps made five three-pointers, but struggled at the free throw line, hitting just 55 percent (11-of-20) of their chances.
- Randolph-Macon went 23-for-62 (37.1%) from the field despite connecting on just one-of-nine (11.1%) of their shots from long range. R-MC was 15-for-21 (71.4%) at the free throw line.
- The Yellow Jackets held a 45-34 rebounding advantage including a 17-10 margin on the offensive glass. Randolph-Macon turned that into a 19-11 lead on second-chance points.
- R-MC dominated down low, with a 38-28 advantage on points in the paint and scored 24 points off 21 E&H turnovers. The Wasps managed just 11 points off 20 Yellow Jacket miscues.
- Emory & Henry will look to get back on track on Wednesday when it travels to Roanoke for an ODAC matchup with Hollins University. Tipoff is set for 7:00 p.m.