ROANOKE, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (10-4, 4-1 ODAC) got back on the winning track with a convincing 66-38 win against Hollins University (4-9, 0-5 ODAC) Wednesday evening on the road.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 66, Hollins 38
LOCATION – Roanoke, Virginia – C.H. Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (10-4, 4-1 ODAC); Hollins (4-9, 0-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Hollins started off with a 6-2 lead at the 7:18 mark of the first, but Emory & Henry flipped the script with an 11-1 run over the next four minutes to take a 13-7 advantage. HU finished the quarter on a 5-0 run to make the score 13-11.
- The majority of the second period remained a two possession game but the Wasps scored six of the final eight points to take a 27-18 advantage into the locker room.
- Coming out of the break, E&H got its first double-digit lead (29-18) with the opening basket of the third, but the next five points came from Hollins. A 6-0 run by the Wasps returned the margin to 12 (35-23) with 4:32 on the clock as they would hold a 42-29 advantage with a quarter to play.
- The fourth quarter was all Emory & Henry as they scored 16 points in a row to start the things off, part of a larger 24-1 run which covered 7:18 for a 30-point advantage, 60-30, with 5:00 remaining. The Wasps put the game on cruise control for the rest of the way, winning 66-38.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Eleven different players scored for Emory & Henry, led by sophomore forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) with 12 points, five rebounds and two blocks.
- Sophomore guard Jada Penn (Radford, Va.) had nine points, four rebounds, six steals and two assists off the bench while freshman forward Aubrianna Peebles (Mocksville, N.C.) added eight points and four boards.
- Sophomore forward Laken Blackburn (Wilkesboro, N.C.) put up seven points while senior guard Megan Jacoby (Richmond, Va.) tacked on six points, nine assists and three steals.
- Senior guard Asja Jenkins (Richmond, Va.) and freshman forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) had six points each with McKinney contributing six rebounds.
Hollins Individual Leaders
- Jewellanna Parfitt had a game-high 15 points and added eight rebounds, two assists and four steals.
- LaChrisha Hill put up 12 points and nine rebounds while Nicolette Valencia had six assists, three rebounds and three steals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 26-of-59 (40.7%) of it field goal attempts, but struggled from long range, making just four of 20 three-point baskets. The Wasps went 10-for-13 (76.9%) from the free throw line on the night.
- Hollins shot just 27.5 percent (14-for-51) for the game with only a pair of three-pointers. HU made 8-of-13 (61.5%) of its chances at the charity stripe.
- The Wasps held a 43-30 rebounding advantage, including a 13-10 margin on the offensive glass which they used for a 12-6 lead on second-chance points.
- E&H overwhelmed Hollins, 34-10, on points off turnovers, taking clear advantage of 29 mistakes by the green-and-gold.
- Emory & Henry assisted on 19 of its 26 made field goals, for a 73.1% assist rating.
- Emory & Henry is set to return home on Saturday for an ODAC contest against Eastern Mennonite University. Tipoff is set for 2:00 p.m.
- The Wasps defeated the Royals, 73-64, to open the conference season on November 26.
- The game will be the first of a doubleheader with the E&H men's team.