LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (12-5, 6-2 ODAC) earned its sixth win in the last eight games with a 65-52 win over Randolph College (8-9, 3-5 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference matchup.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 65, Randolph 52
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia – Randolph Athletics & Dance Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (12-5, 6-2 ODAC); Randolph (8-9, 3-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams went back and forth early in the game with Randolph leading just 4-3 after nearly six minutes of play. Emory & Henry then went on a 13-3 run covering 2:51 to go up 16-7 as sophomore forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) scored eight points for the Wasps during the run. The period would end with E&H leading, 16-9.
- The Wasps continued their offensive output for most of the second quarter, going up by as much as 14 (29-15) with 2:24 left before the intermission. The WildCats scored the final eight points of the half to draw the score to 29-23.
- Returning to action, after Randolph scored the opening basket of the period to draw the score to 29-25, Emory & Henry went on a 15-2 run to push its margin to 44-27 with 5:29 on the clock. The Wasps would extend the advantage to 21 (54-33) later in the quarter and would lead, 54-37 with 10 minutes left to play.
- In the final period, the WildCats would trim the margin to single digits at 56-47 with 3:27 to play, but a three-pointer by senior guard Megan Jacoby (Richmond, Va.) would put the game out of reach as the Wasps cruised to the 65-52 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Blevins had 18 points, eight rebounds, four steals and two block to lead Emory & Henry. She went 7-for-13 from the field and four-for-five from the free throw line.
- Jacoby put up 18 points of her own with seven assists, three rebounds and three steals while freshman forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) notched a career-high 15 points, seven rebounds and two assists off the bench.
- Freshman forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) chipped in five points and a team-high nine rebounds.
Randolph Individual Leaders
- Korin Harris notched team-highs with 16 points and nine rebounds while Taylor Samuels contributed 11 points and five boards.
- Kalyn Banks collected 10 points and eight rebounds off the bench while Daijah Johnson had seven points, seven rebounds and seven assists.
- Jacqueline Hockman had eight points and six rebounds as well for the WildCats.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 21-for-66 (31.8%) on field goal attempts but struggled from long range, hitting only 14.4 percent (3-for-21) of its three-point tries. The Wasps made up for it the free throw line, however, going 20-for-25 (80%).
- Randolph finished the game 30.4 percent from the field (21-for-69) and two made three-pointers. The WildCats shot 44.4 percent at the free throw line (8-for-18).
- E&H held a 32-17 lead on points in the paint despite being out-rebounded 52-48 and 21-15 on the offensive glass.
- The Wasps scored 22 points off 21 WildCat turnovers while Randolph only managed to score nine points off E&H's 16 miscues.
- Both teams did well on the break, scoring 14 points each in transition.
- Emory & Henry had 14 assists on 21 made baskets (66.7%) while Randolph matched that mark exactly.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road Wednesday when it travels to face Guilford College in a key ODAC contest. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.