EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (13-6, 7-3 ODAC) took advantage of a 31-10 run over 6:26 in the second half to pull away from Roanoke College (8-12, 3-8 ODAC), 93-84, in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference matchup Wednesday evening. The Wasps remain in a tie for third place in the league standings.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 93, Roanoke 84
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (14-6, 8-3 ODAC); Roanoke (8-12, 3-8 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The contest, which featured 12 ties and 21 lead changes through the first three periods, could not have been closer to start. Both squads opened the game on fire from the field, shooting better than 60 percent in the first quarter. The Maroons would hold a 27-24 advantage after 10 minutes of play.
- In the second, the teams traded baskets resulting in four ties and 11 lead changes. The margin would remain a one-possession game for all but six seconds of the first half as the score was deadlocked, 46-46, at the intermission.
- Coming back from the break, both the Wasps and Maroons began to make offensive moves. Down by three, Roanoke scored seven in a row for a 58-54 advantage with 5:42 left in the third. Once the E&H tied things up at 58, an 8-2 run by the Maroons' resulted in their biggest lead of the game, 66-60. Emory & Henry closed the period on a 13-6 run, as sophomore guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) drilled a pair of three-pointers including one at the buzzer to put the Wasps up, 73-72.
- E&H continued to keep the pressure on early in the fourth quarter, scoring 11 straight to open the frame for an 84-72 lead with 8:03 to play. The run was part of the Wasps' bigger 31-10 offensive burst which fully swung the momentum and proved them with a 91-74 advantage at the 5:21 mark.
- Roanoke finished with 10 of the final 12 points, but the outcome was not in question down the stretch as Emory & Henry cruised to the 93-84 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- The Wasps put four players in double figures led by sophomore forward Taylor Blevins' (Abingdon, Va.) 21 points which came on eight-for-12 shooting from the floor. She added six rebounds, three assists and two blocks in the contest.
- Freshman forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) tied her career-high with 15 points, going six-for-six at the line and added seven rebounds and six assists. Freshman forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) had 12 points, five rebounds, five steals and three assists.
- Johnston tacked on 11 points off the bench, connecting on a trio of three-pointers while senior guard Megan Jacoby (Richmond, Va.) notched eight points, two rebounds, eight assists and five steals.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- Cary Beahm paced the Maroons with a game-high 27 points, hitting 11-of-12 free throw attempts, eight rebounds, three assists and three steals.
- Allison Livengood had 22 points on seven-for-12 shooting and four rebounds.
- Allison Yeaw put up 14 points, two assists and two steals while Bridget Holleran had 13 points and three assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 33-for-64 (51.6%) for the game including a 60 percent (18-for-30) clip in the second half. The Wasps hit eight three-pointers and were 73.1 percent (19-for-26) at the free throw line.
- Roanoke started the night off shooting 64.3 percent (9-for-14) from the field but cooled off to 27-for-57 (47.4%) for the game. The Maroons managed just four three-pointers but were red hot from the charity stripe, hitting 26-of-29 (89.7%) of their free throw attempts.
- E&H held a 37-30 rebounding advantage including a 14-9 margin for offensive boards. The Wasps also led, 14-10, on second-chance points.
- In addition to its 24-12 lead on three-point baskets, Emory & Henry led 48-34 on points in the paint.
- E&H forced RC into 24 turnovers, scoring 29 points while the Maroons scored just 16 points off the Wasps' 21 errors.
- Emory & Henry showed its depth during the game, outscoring the depleted Roanoke bench, 30-4.
- The Wasps finished the game with a 72.7 assist percentage, helping on 24 of 33 made field goals.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road on Saturday for an ODAC doubleheader against Shenandoah University.
- Tipoff for the women's game will be at 2:00 p.m., while the Wasps' men will face the Hornets at 4:30 p.m.
- E&H defeated SU on Saturday, December 3 by a 103-43 margin as all 15 players who suited up scored.