WINCHESTER, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (15-6, 9-3 ODAC) got out to an early lead and never looked back as it defeated Shenandoah University (4-17, 1-11 ODAC) by a 64-40 score Saturday afternoon in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest. With the win, the Wasps earn their second win over the Hornets this year.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 64, Shenandoah 40
LOCATION – Winchester, Virginia – Shingleton Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-6, 9-3 ODAC); Shenandoah (4-17, 1-11 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The contest started slow with Shenandoah going up 3-2 at the 7:20 mark of the first period. The Wasps then went on a 13-2 run to lead 15-5 after 10 minutes of play.
- E&H pushed its advantage to 25-7 at the 6:59 mark of the second quarter thanks to a 10-2 run. The combined run of 23-4 between the two periods covered nearly 10 minutes and set the tone for the rest of the game. Emory & Henry would lead, 36-20 at the half.
- Coming out of the break, the Hornets closed the margin down to 10 with 2:53 left in the third, but the Wasps scored 17 in a row to push their advantage to 27 (57-30) with 6:53 to play.
- Emory & Henry was able to get its starters some much-needed rest and its reserves some significant experience down the stretch as the Wasps cruised to a 64-40 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Freshman forward Aubriana Peebles (Mocksville, N.C.) led all players with a career-high 15 points off the bench, going seven-for-nine from the floor, and added five rebounds.
- Sophomore forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) put up 14 points and four rebounds while sophomore guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) had eight points, three points and three assists.
- Senior guard Megan Jacoby (Richmond, Va.) tallied just two points, but went for 10 assists and five rebounds while freshman forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) had seven points, six rebounds and three assists.
- Freshman guard Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) contributed seven points, four rebounds and three steals.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Kirstyn Arcata notched 13 points, hitting a trio of three-pointers, five rebounds and two assists to lead the Hornets.
- Erin French contributed six points, five rebounds, five steals and three assists while Mary Severin and Jordan Sondrol put up five points apiece.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 47.2 percent (25-of-53) of its field goal attempts, hitting five three-pointers. The Wasps went nine-for-13 (69.2%) at the charity stripe.
- Shenandoah managed just a 14-for-54 (25.9%) shooting performance, but connected on six attempts from long range. The Hornets hit six-of-nine (66.7%) of their free throws.
- The Wasps led, 42-30, on rebounding and posted a 40-8 advantage on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry scored 24 points off 22 Shenandoah turnovers and saw a 17-4 lead on fast-break points.
- E&H assisted on 19 of its 25 field goals (76%) while SU boasted an 85.7 percent (12-of-14) assist rate.
- Emory & Henry will have another road game Wednesday when it visits Lynchburg College for an ODAC matchup with the league-leading Hornets. Tipoff is set for 5:00 p.m.
- LC escaped with a 67-65 win over E&H on Wednesday, January 18 in Emory.