SALEM, Va. – The second-seeded Guilford College Women's Basketball Team (23-3) earned a berth in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament Championship game with a 67-52 win over #3 Emory & Henry College (19-8) Saturday night at the Salem Civic Center. The Quakers reach the title game for the fifth time in six years.
FINAL SCORE – #2 Guilford 67, #3 Emory & Henry 52
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia – Salem Civic Center
RECORDS – #3 Emory & Henry (19-8, 12-4 ODAC); #2 Guilford (23-3, 14-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Quakers scored the first eight points of the game before the Wasps began to find a rhythm offensively. E&H made a run in the latter half of the first period to tie things up at 17 through 10 minutes of play.
- Guilford took advantage of its three-point shooting game in the second which propelled it to a 36-24 halftime lead. The Wasps shot just 16.7 percent (2-for-12) during the span as the Quakers ended the half on an 8-0 run.
- The third quarter saw GC maintain its 12-point lead as the two squads traded baskets to a 48-36 score with one period remaining.
- Emory & Henry got within eight (49-41) in the first minute of the fourth but Guilford answered with a 9-3 run to push the lead back to 58-44 with 7:05 left on the clock. The Wasps would get no closer than 10 points the rest of the way as the Quakers were able to run out the clock and punch their ticket to the ODAC title game with the 67-52 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Freshman forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) led the Wasps in scoring with 10 points and added four rebounds.
- Freshman forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) had nine points and six rebounds off the bench while sophomore forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) tacked on eight points, seven boards and two assists.
- Freshman forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) put up eight points, three rebounds and two blocks as senior guard Asja Jenkins (Richmond, Va.) capped her career with seven points and five rebounds.
- Senior guard Megan Jacoby (Richmond, Va.) played nearly the entire 40 minutes of her final game and had four points, three rebounds, four assists and six steals.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Anais Weatherly posted a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds, adding seven steals.
- Amy Stellar led all players with 15 points, hitting a trio of three-pointers while Heaven Walters put up 11 points, seven rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Lauren Ramey tacked on eight points, seven rebounds two assists and two blocks.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot just 34.4 percent (21-for-61) for the game, hitting six threes on 22 attempts (27.3%).
- Guilford went 22-for-56 (39.3%) from the field and scored 19 points at the free throw line (19-for-29; 65.5%).
- The Quakers held a 44-37 rebounding advantage and outscored the Wasps, 16-7, on second-chance points.
- GC led both the battle for points in the paint, 24-20, and points off turnovers, 17-13, as their size and defense played a large role in the win.
- Emory & Henry makes it back-to-back 19-win seasons and three-straight trips to the ODAC Tournament Semifinals.
- The last time that E&H reached the final four of the conference postseason for three straight years was from 2000-02.
- E&H's 53 wins in the last three years are the most in such a span since it won 59 games between 2000-03.