EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (2-1) outscored Brevard College (1-2) by a 44-27 margin in the second half en route to a 90-65 victory Tuesday evening in its home opener. The Wasps placed four players in double figures in the victory.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 90, Brevard 65
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-1, 0-0 ODAC); Brevard (1-2, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- The two teams battled to an 8-6 E&H lead at the 6:05 mark of the first quarter before the Wasps ran off 15-straight points to go up 23-6 just under four minutes later. Brevard closed the gap down to 13 (28-15) at the end of the period.
- Emory & Henry kept the pressure on early in the second pushing the margin to 19 (45-26) with 3:43 on the clock before the Tornados finished the half on a 12-2 run to make the score 47-38 at the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, BC closed the margin all the way down to 53-52 before E&H responded and extended its lead back to 61-55 with 10 minutes left to play.
- The fourth quarter was all Emory & Henry as the Wasps started off with a 9-0 run and extended the lead to 20 (83-63) with 2:58 on the clock. E&H scored the final six points of the contest for the 90-65 margin.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior forward Laken Blackburn (Wilkesboro, N.C.) had a career night, going seven-for-eight from the field and hit all six three-pointers for a game-high 20 points.
- Junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) was close behind with 19 points, three rebounds, and two steals while sophomore guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) added 13 points, four rebounds and four assists.
- Sophomore forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) tacked on 10 points, four boards and four assists while sophomore forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) registered eight points and eight rebounds.
Brevard Individual Leaders
- Whitney DeMoss had a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds while Taryn Ledford contributed 14 points, hitting a quartet of three-pointers and three rebounds.
- Annalee Bollinger put up 11 points and led all players with six assists. While Kelsie Rhyne and Destiny Williams had nine points each.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot a blistering 59.6 percent (34-for-57) from the field, assisting on 20 baskets. The Wasps also hit 20-of-29 (69%) of their free throws.
- Brevard went 26-for-61 (42.6%) from the floor hitting nine three-pointers.
- The Wasps held a 38-27 rebounding advantage and scored 56 points in the paint, including 15 second-chance points.
- E&H scored 37 points off Brevard turnovers and tallied a 14-6 lead on fast-break points.
- Emory & Henry remains at home on Sunday when it hosts Ferrum College in non-conference action at 2:00 p.m.