EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (3-1) returned to action following the Thanksgiving holiday with a 58-43 win over visiting Ferrum College (1-2) Sunday afternoon. The Wasps move to 3-1 to open the year for the second straight season.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 58, Ferrum 43
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-1, 0-0 ODAC); Ferrum (1-2, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- The two squads went back-and-forth for the opening 10 minutes with neither leading by more than three points. Emory & Henry scored the final four points of the quarter to led 15-14.
- The Wasps extended their run to 16-0 over a period of 7:39, scoring the first 12 points of the second frame to lead 27-14. FC closed the gap to six with 1:06 left but a three-pointer by junior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) to close the half gave E&H some momentum and a 30-21 advantage.
- Coming out of the locker room, Ferrum got back within seven (32-25) with 6:20 on the clock, but a 7-2 run by Emory & Henry got the lead back to double digits for good. The Wasps used a 6-1 run late in the third to go up 47-31.
- In the fourth, the Wasps would lead by as many as 17 points on three separate occasions, going basket for basket with the Panthers for the 58-43 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- E&H placed three players in double figures led by sophomore forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) with 15 points and nine rebounds.
- Sophomore guard Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) hit four three-pointers en route to 16 points, six boards and five steals while junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) added 12 points, rebounds two assists, two steals and a block.
- Junior guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) chipped in six points, six rebounds, five assists and three steals while junior guard Jada Penn (Radford, Va.) registered eight points off the bench.
Ferrum Individual Leaders
- Kelli Mounce connected on a trio of threes for a team-best 11 points and added four rebounds while Zarkia Mattox had eight points, 11 rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- Maggie Self put up eight points and Kelsey Mosley added six points off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 36.9 percent (21-for-57) on the afternoon and hit seven three-pointers. The Wasps made nine-of-12 (75%) of their free throws.
- Ferrum was just 17-for-52 (32.7%) from the field with six treys. The Panthers only made it to the line seven times, hitting three of their attempts (42.9%).
- Emory & Henry held a 39-35 rebounding advantage and led 26-14 on points in the paint.
- The Wasps scored 23 points off 26 Panther turnovers, earning 17 steals as a team.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road for its next five games including three this week.
- The Wasps face the Averett University Cougars on Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m.