DANVILLE, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (4-1, 0-0 ODAC) made it three straight victories with a 79-67 win over Averett University (2-2, 0-0 USA South) Wednesday night in a non-conference contest. The Wasps saw four players reach double figures in scoring en route to the win.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 79, Averett 67
LOCATION – Danville, Virginia
VENUE – Grant Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-1, 0-0 ODAC); Averett (2-2, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got out to an 11-4 lead at the 6:05 mark of the first period. The Wasps, who never trailed in the contest, held off a run by the Cougars to cut the margin to two (16-14) late in the quarter to lead 20-16 after 10 minutes of play.
- Averett closed the gap to 30-29 thanks to five-straight points midway through the second frame, but E&H would hold off the run and take a 36-31 advantage into the intermission.
- Returning to action, the Wasps ran their lead out to 45-36 with a 9-5 scoring spurt and made it a double-digit margin (53-43) with 4:14 to play in the third. The Wasps pushed their advantage to 60-48 with 10 minutes left to play.
- After Emory & Henry extended its margin to 64-48 with 9:47 on the clock, Averett went on a 13-2 run to get within five, 66-61. The Wasps finished the contest on a 13-6 run, including five of the last seven, for the 79-67 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) put up a career-high 24 points and added 11 rebounds for a double-double.
- Junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) had 16 points, eight boards, three steals and two assists while junior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) put up 13 points, four rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- Junior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) notched 10 points off the bench while junior guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) recorded four points, six rebounds, five assists and three steals.
Averett Individual Leaders
- Samm Chandler led all players with 25 points, hitting four three-pointers, and added four rebounds, two blocks and two steals.
- Brooke Carthon put up 15 points and four assists off the bench while Amani Ajayi tacked on 11 points and three boards.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 26-for-59 (44.1%) from the field and connected on 66.7 percent (26-of-39) of its free throw attempts.
- Averett hit 39.7 percent (25-of-63) of its shots with five three-pointers, but only managed a 12-for-23 (52.2%) performance at the free throw line.
- E&H held a 48-36 lead on rebounding and led 14-10 on the offensive glass. The Wasps outscored the Cougars, 13-9, on second-chance points and 48-32 on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry assisted on 22 of its 26 made field goals, an assist ratio of 84.6 percent.
- Emory & Henry will open Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on Saturday when it visits Shenandoah University in what will be a doubleheader between the Wasps and Hornets.
- Tipoff for the women's game is set for 4:30 p.m., with the men's game preceding at 2:00 p.m.