WINCHESTER, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (5-1, 1-0 ODAC) got its Old Dominion Athletic Conference schedule off to a good start Saturday with a 74-68 win over Shenandoah University (2-3, 0-1 ODAC). The Wasps continued to play a balanced brand of basketball as all 11 players who saw action put their name in the scoring column.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 74, Shenandoah 68
LOCATION – Winchester, Virginia
VENUE – Shingleton Gym
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-1, 1-0 ODAC); Shenandoah (2-3, 0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry scored the first five points of the game but Shenandoah responded with nine straight to go up 9-5 with 5:59 on the clock. The Wasps battled back to take a 17-16 lead after the opening period.
- The contest remained tight through the second quarter with E&H taking a 35-31 advantage into the break. The Wasps used a 10-3 run midway through the frame to make the score 33-28, tying their largest lead of the half.
- In the third quarter, Emory & Henry pressed its lead to eight points (47-39) on a three-point play by sophomore forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.). The Wasps carried a 53-47 margin into the final 10 minutes of play.
- Five straight points to open the fourth brought the Hornets to within one point (53-52) with 7:58 on the clock, but 10 in a row by E&H gave the Wasps the first double-digit advantage of the contest, 63-52. Shenandoah was able to close the gap down to 64-62 in the final 90 seconds of the game, but a 6-0 run by Emory & Henry sealed the 74-68 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) led E&H with 16 points on 6-for-11 shooting and added seven rebounds, four steals and two assists.
- Sophomore forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) made it back-to-back double-doubles with 13 points and 12 rebounds to go along with four assists and two blocks.
- Junior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) tacked on 10 points while junior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) had seven points.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Jordan Sondrol put up a game-high 18 points and added eight rebounds while Shannon Kuhn had 12 points off the bench.
- Kirstyn Arcata notched 10 points, three rebounds and three steals while McKenzie Mathis added nine points, eight rebounds and five assists.
A Deeper Look
- Both Emory & Henry and Shenandoah shot 41.8 percent (23-for-55) from the field, but the Wasps hit nine three pointers, and scored 19 points at the free throw line.
- E&H held a 41-32 rebounding advantage, including a 16-10 lead on the offensive glass, but the Hornets outscored the Wasps, 14-8, on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry scored 19 points off 16 Shenandoah turnovers despite making 21 turnovers of its own.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road on Sunday when it travels to Annapolis, Maryland for a NCAA Division I exhibition game against the United States Naval Academy.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Midshipmen is scheduled for 3:15 p.m.