BRIDGEWATER, Va. – The Bridgewater College Women's Basketball Team (2-4, 1-1 ODAC) used a fourth-quarter rally to defeat Emory & Henry College (5-2, 1-1 ODAC) by a 74-68 score Tuesday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
FINAL SCORE – Bridgewater 74, Emory & Henry 68
LOCATION – Bridgewater, Virginia
VENUE – Nininger Hall
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-2, 1-1 ODAC); Bridgewater (2-4, 1-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams traded five-point leads early in the game with Bridgewater scoring 10 in a row to take a 10-5 advantage at the 5:47 mark of the opening quarter. After E&H closed the gap back to one, BC went on a 12-6 run for a 22-15 advantage at the end of the period.
- The Eagles ran their lead to nine (28-19) at the 6:08 mark of the second frame but the Wasps' offense warmed up to close the half on a 14-4 run for a 33-32 halftime advantage.
- An 8-2 Emory & Henry run to open the third quarter mad the score 41-34 but Bridgewater responded with a pair of three-pointers to keep things close. The Wasps would lead 53-48 going into the final 10 minutes of play.
- BC scored the started the fourth period with a 9-0 run to take a 59-53 lead. E&H was able to tie things up twice down the stretch but the Eagles scored five in a row to put the game out of reach before escaping with the 74-68 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) posted a team-high 11 points with five rebounds, two steals and a block while sophomore forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) had nine points and seven boards.
- Junior guards Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) and Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) put up nine points each with Logan adding three assists and Johnston contributing three rebounds.
- Sophomore forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) added seven points off the bench to go along with four steals and two rebounds, scoring all her points at the free throw line.
Bridgewater Individual Leaders
- Brianna Moore led all players with 18 points and seven rebounds while Kaitlyn Lehan added 15 points and four boards.
- Ahlia Moone tacked on 14 points, three assists and two rebounds while Jessalyn Monday and Rebecca Harvey tacked on eight points each.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot just 40.7 percent (22-for-54) from the field with three three-pointers, but connected on 21-of-29 (72.4%) of its free throw attempts.
- Bridgewater went 23-for-48 (47.9%) from the field with 11 treys and 17 points (77.3%) at the charity stripe.
- The Wasps led 33-30 on rebounding, including a 16-10 margin on the offensive glass, for a 15-9 advantage on second-chance points.
- E&H also led 34-20 on points in the paint and 29-22 on points off turnovers, but BC's long-range accuracy (55%) proved to be the difference-maker in the game.
- Emory & Henry will break for exams before returning to the court on Friday, December 15 when it faces Greensboro College on the road.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Pride will be at 2:00 p.m.