EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (10-4, 3-2 ODAC) got back on the winning track Wednesday evening with an 83-69 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win over Guilford College (9-3, 3-2 ODAC) at the John Rutledge King Center. The Wasps, who led for nearly 37 minutes, avenged their last meeting with the Quakers in the semifinals of the 2017 ODAC Tournament.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 83, Guilford 69
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (10-4, 3-2 ODAC); Guilford (9-3, 3-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got out to a 10-6 lead midway through the opening period, and after Guilford trimmed the margin to 12-11, extended its advantage to 21-15 after 10 minutes of play.
- Leading by four (24-20) early in the second, E&H went on an 11-2 run covering three minutes to take a 35-22 advantage. The Quakers got within six, but the Wasps scored six of the final eight points of the half to hold a 46-36 lead at the break.
- Emory & Henry opened the third with a 22-6 to establish its dominance with one quarter to go. Freshman Kylea Cooper (Hickory, N.C.) hit a 35-foot three pointer as time expired to make the score 70-46.
- In the final period, the Wasps pressed their advantage to as much as 25 points (75-50) with 6:28 to play. Emory & Henry was able to empty the bench and allow the entire team to get valuable playing time against one of the top programs in the league, cruising to the 83-69 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) led the Wasps with a career-high 19 points on 6-for-10 shooting with three three-pointers. She added four rebounds, an assist and a block to cap her birthday performance.
- Junior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) had 13 points, three assists and five steals while junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) tacked on 13 points and five boards.
- Junior guard Jada Penn (Radford, Va.) notched 11 points, three rebounds and three steals off the bench while sophomore forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) contributed nine points, five steals, three rebounds and two assists.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Lauren Ramsey posted a game-high 22 points, adding six rebounds, five steals and two assists.
- Julie Carini put up 10 points and eight boards while Monell Dunlap and Jasmine McBride pitched in eight points each.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 30-for-56 (53.6%) on the evening, connecting on nine three-pointers. The Wasps improved their free throw percentage dramatically over their last outing, shooting 73.7 percent (14-for-19) at the line.
- Guilford hit 49.1 percent (27-for-55) of its field goals with just two triples. The Quakers made 13 free throws, shooting 76.5 percent at the stripe.
- Emory & Henry held a 31-27 rebounding advantage and a 12-10 margin on second-chance points.
- The Wasps also led 28-21 on points off turnovers, taking full advantage of 29 miscues by the Quakers.
- Guilford edged E&H, 40-36, on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Saturday when it hosts Bridgewater College at 3:00 p.m.
- The Eagles defeated the Wasps by a 74-68 score in December.