EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (16-5, 9-3 ODAC) moved into a tie for second place in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference with an 84-77 win over Randolph-Macon College (16-4, 9-3 ODAC) Saturday afternoon. The Wasps saw four players score in double figures in the win.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 84, Randolph-Macon 77
LOCATION – Ashland, Virginia
VENUE – Crenshaw Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (16-5, 9-3 ODAC); Randolph-Macon (16-4, 9-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon opened up a 10-2 lead at the 7:32 mark of the opening period. The Wasps tied things up a 12-all with a 10-2 run of its own and went up by a 18-17 score before the Yellow Jackets took a 21-20 advantage through 10 minutes of play.
- E&H took the lead (27-22) early in the second thanks to a 7-1 run but RMC answered to go back up, 28-27, just over two minutes later. The Wasps closed the half with an 11-7 scoring spurt for a 38-35 halftime advantage.
- Returning to action, Randolph-Macon made a run to retake the lead, 44-43, with 6:28 in the third, but Emory & Henry went back up for good on a three-pointer by sophomore forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.), 46-44. The Wasps would lead 64-57 with one quarter left.
- E&H pushed the advantage to its largest of the game, 75-65, early in the fourth frame and held off several Randolph-Macon runs on the way to the 84-77 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) put up a team-high 21 points and added 10 rebounds for the double-double. Junior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) had 13 points two rebounds and two steals off the bench.
- Sophomore forwards Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) and Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) posted 12 and 11 points, respectively as Stafford had four rebounds, three assists and two steals while McKinney contributed six rebounds and two steals.
- Williams registered nine points, four rebounds, six assists and three blocks.
Randolph-Macon Individual Leaders
- Kelly Williams notched her 19th double-double of the year with 22 points and 23 rebounds, adding four assists, three steals and five blocks.
- Charlotte Woods had 17 points and 10 rebounds for a double-double of her own while Teal Reynolds chipped in 14 points and seven boards.
- Kelsey Wisner recorded 10 points, three rebounds, three assists and two steals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 31-for-68 (45.6%) from the floor with four three-pointers. The Wasps hit 62.1 percent (18-for-29) of their free throws.
- Randolph-Macon made 43.1 percent (25-for-58) of its field goals but only managed a 24-for-45 (53.3%) effort at the free throw line.
- The Yellow Jackets held a 46-37 rebounding advantage including a 13-8 margin on the offensive glass. RMC outscored E&H, 18-6, on second-chance points.
- The Wasps led 48-42 on points in the paint and 12-0 on fast-break points.
- Emory & Henry also led 25-12 on points off turnovers, taking advantage of 27 Randolph-Macon miscues.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road on Wednesday when it visits Guilford College in another key conference contest.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Quakers is set for 7:00 p.m.