EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (18-5, 11-3 ODAC) picked up its seventh-straight win Saturday, 73-47, over Randolph College (5-17, 2-12 ODAC). With the victory, E&H is almost assured a spot in the top four of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference and a first round bye in the ODAC Tournament.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 73, Randolph 47
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (18-5, 11-3 ODAC); Randolph (5-17, 2-12 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two squads traded buckets early in the game but E&H used a 10-2 run covering 2:41 to go up 14-8. The Wasps would take a 24-13 lead at the end of the period, closing with eight of the last 10 points.
- Emory & Henry began to pull away in the second quarter, extending its lead to as much as 18 on the way to a 37-22 advantage at the intermission.
- The Wasps got their first taste of a 20-point lead at the 7:16 mark of the third frame and pushed the margin to as much as 25 (47-22) with 6:48 on the clock. The WildCats made a run late in the quarter to close the gap to 51-37 with 10 minutes left to play.
- The fourth period was all Emory & Henry as they outscored Randolph, 22-10. The Wasps grew their lead through the period to the 26-point, 73-47, final margin.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) led the Wasps with 13 points, six rebounds, four steals and three assists.
- Sophomore forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) had 10 points, six rebounds, three assists, three steals and two blocks while junior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) put up 11 points off the bench.
- Junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) notched nine points, six rebounds and five assists as sophomore forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) added nine points and eight boards.
- Junior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) contributed nine points off the bench.
Randolph Individual Leaders
- Taylor Samuels scored a game-high 15 points with six rebounds while Lauren Moore had 9 points and two assists.
- Jade Jarvis finished the game with six points and six rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot an even 50 percent (29-for-58) for the game with seven three-pointers. The Wasps hit 8-of-13 (61.5%) of their free throws.
- Randolph went 19-for-53 (35.8%) from the field with just three makes from long range. The WildCats made 60 percent (6-of-10) of their attempts from the line.
- Emory & Henry held a 35-31 rebounding advantage and led, 13-7, on second-chance points. The Wasps continued their season of dominance in the paint, outscoring the WildCats, 42-22.
- E&H forced 25 RC turnovers, and scored 31 points, compared to 11 points for the WildCats on Wasp miscues.
- Emory & Henry also led 16-3 on fast-break points.
- Emory & Henry will travel to face Washington and Lee University on Wednesday, February 14 at 7:00 p.m.
- The Wasps took down the Generals, 72-55, at home on Wednesday, January 24.