ARLINGTON, Va. – The Marymount University Women's Soccer Team (1-1) closed out the Marymount Invitational Saturday afternoon with a 2-0 victory over Emory & Henry College (0-2).
FINAL SCORE – Marymount 2, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Arlington, Va. – Long Bridge Park
RECORDS – Marymount (1-1, 0-0 CAC); Emory & Henry (0-2, 0-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The opening 45 minutes of the game went scoreless as did the first 15 minutes of the second half.
- Kylie Egan put the Saints on the board at the 60:41 mark taking a pass from Karen Reyes in the middle of the box and putting it home.
- E&H had a chance to tie the game,1-1, at the 67:19 mark but the shot was saved by the goalkeeper.
- Midway through the 71stt minute, Reyes went on a breakaway to get a goal of her own, making the score 2-0.
Chatham Individual Leaders
- Reyes led all players with six shots, putting five on target to go along with her goal and assist.
- Egan finished the game with three shots and a goal.
- April Westmark picked up the complete-game shutout with two saves.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore midfielder Gillian Hogg (Richmond, Va.) had three of the four shots for the Wasps, putting two of them on frame.
- Junior Kayla Wright (Franklin County, Va.) played the entire 90 minutes in goal, making nine saves.
A Deeper Look
- Marymount took 23 shots on the day, compared to just four by Emory & Henry. The Saints put 11 of their attempts on goal while the Wasps had two shots on target.
- MU also held a 6-3 lead on corner kicks, five of which came in the second 45 minutes of play.
- The Emory & Henry defense forced Marymount to be called offside on three different occasions during the game while the Wasp attackers were flagged once.
- It was the third straight year that the Wasps and Saints have met on the soccer pitch with Marymount taking the last two meetings.
- Marymount now leads the all-time series with E&H, 3-1.
- Emory & Henry will have its home opener on Wednesday when it hosts Ferrum College. Kickoff between the Wasps and Panthers is at 7:00 p.m.